Well, CBS will not be showing opener in HD

available bandwidth & transponder space. It'll all be HD next year I'd bet.

421834[/snapback]

They're too fricking cheap to buy the extra cameras and other hardware. I think I'll bombard them 3 times a week over their penny pinching. 2nd class treatment for what they must think are 2nd class fans. Arrogant a-holes.

I spoke to someone at DTV that appeared to be knowledgeable a while back. He said that DTV can't hold any more HD channels until they make some changes. Right now on Sundays during the season the plan is to offer no HD payperviews during game time to allow for one more game channel. They are simply maxed out. So, I don't know that CBS can offer anymore, on the ticket at least, until this is a resolved.

Last year the Bills had like only four HD games. I think that has to be about the league bottom. When they went on the streak last year does anyone recall if the HD games count did go up? I don't remember them doing that.

I spoke to someone at DTV that appeared to be knowledgeable a while back.  He said that DTV can't hold any more HD channels until they make some changes.  Right now on Sundays during the season the plan is to offer no HD payperviews during game time to allow for one more game channel. They are simply maxed out. So, I don't know that CBS can offer anymore, on the ticket at least, until this is a resolved.

Last year the Bills had like only four HD games.  I think that has to be about the league bottom.  When they went on the streak last year does anyone recall if the HD games count did go up?  I don't remember them doing that.

421966[/snapback]

Those are separate issues. CBS isn't even RECORDING all their games in HD -- Fox, on the other hand, is.

You can record a game in HD and transmit in SD without a problem. DTV can (and does) also tweak the compression rates of other channels to be able to show more games; they could do them all in HD, if CBS were recording them all in HD.

What DTV can't do is broadcast any more locals in HD because that would be a full-time commitment. That's what the new satellite is for.

In this case, it's all CBS' fault.

CW

I foud this on another BBoard. cant vouch for accuracy.

It's a buildout issue. For CBS to increase the number of games they can do simultaneously, they have to increase the number of net-to-affiliate HD pathways. Equipping each affiliate with the necessary gear to sight different satellites for those pathways will take time and money. Fox's splicer system doesn't require the same kind of bandwidth CBS's system uses. At present, affiliates can receive CBS HD 1 and 2. Some can also grab UPN-1. That gives CBS three pathways to its affiliates. Doubling that for a one-day-a-week telecast is going to take time and money. They'll get there.