Observations about game

Peter

1. Given the abilities of our personnel, I liked the ball control approach and the fact that we were able to eat up the clock. It looked like we were going to be able to run out the clock or score at the end of the game but for . . .

2. Villarrial's holding penalty was a killer. I will have to watch the game again to see if it was justified. It it was, the penalty had a huge effect on the outcome of the game. The O was clicking and Willis was starting to get in a groove. Without that holding call, I dare say that the final score would have been 17 - 6.

3. We still have problems with the o-line. Travis and Willis did not have too much room to run. The problems with the o-line explains why we do not try to stretch the defense with long passes at this point. Until we can consistently provide time for Drew, look forward to the short passing game. Mike Williams has a long way to go. He will forever be compared to Bryant McKinnie. At this point, the comparison is unfavorable for Big Mike. We made a huge investment in a guy who so far is an average right tackle. Big Mike is a right tackle who, at this point, is not able to handle quick DE's. I still think he has a lot of potential, which this staff should be able to get out of him. We picked him way too high though. I do have to give credit to Big Mike, Villarrial, and especially Teague on Willis' screen however. I have to admit Teague made a great block and showed some athleticism on the play.

4. Travis Henry still does not know how to pass block. He has not improved since his rookie year. His deficiencies in this area are highlighted by the fact that Thurman was great at pass blocking. If you want to see what I am talking about, take a look at what he did on that play designed for Shelton. In future games, also take the time to watch what he does.

5. The defense played great until the end. That goes without saying.

6. Jimmy Smith pushed Clements in the back on that long pass play at the end of the game. He should have been flagged. You know that they would have flagged Clements if he had done that. Nevertheless, Clements should have broken up the pass. If he had, the game would have been over at that point.

7. Lindell . . . what can you say what has not been said already. We needed those 3 points.

8. McGee, I like your enthusiasm and ability, but please learn when to stay in the end zone.

9. Don Criqui needs to retire or do a show where he just reads lines. It is sad. He used to be great several years ago.

10. I would like to see more of Travis and Willis in the same backfield.

11. Where did the Bills misplace Lee Evans? He was great recovering that fumble, but I hope that he is going to do more to justify our investment in him.

12. The fans at the stadium were great (from what I could see and hear on TV).

13. What was Fletcher thinking? Was that on purpose so that the D would have more time to get set with the right players or did he just go nuts?

14. Overall, I like the coaching staff. I am still optimistic about the team, but yesterday's game showed that there is still a world of difference between us and the Patriots.

Why hasn't anybody here said anything about Henry running the wrong way on at least two obvious plays causing major losses and causing two good drives to be stopped all by himself. The first was a screen, lineman go one way and wrongway Henry is all by himself, result loss of 8. Later on a handoff, hes not there and Bledsoe has to eat it for a big loss. After both plays Bledsoe and the O-line looked at him like WTF. I don't care how hard he runs, if he can't block and is too stupid to know the plays he is of no help to this team. Plus I bet Willis would of scored if givin the ball twice at the goal line.

Why hasn't anybody here said anything about Henry running the wrong way on at least two obvious plays causing major losses and causing two good drives to be stopped all by himself. The first was a screen, lineman go one way and wrongway Henry is all by himself, result loss of 8. Later on a handoff, hes not there and Bledsoe has to eat it for a big loss. After both plays Bledsoe and the O-line looked at him like WTF. I don't care how hard he runs, if he can't block and is too stupid to know the plays he is of no help to this team. Plus I bet Willis would of scored if givin the ball twice at the goal line.

28920[/snapback]

You are absolutely correct. I should have mentioned that.

Travis is a hard runner, but he does do some things that make you wonder.

Guest Guest_BillsRebound_*

Fletcher has done that other times in the past and gotten away with it (home opener 2002 comes to mind). People at the game would have to verify but I'm sure he did it to save a time-out due to the defensive call coming in late (London is the one who gets the calls from the sidelines). 90% of the time, refs don't pick up on it or won't throw the flag.

1.  Given the abilities of our personnel, I liked the ball control approach and the fact that we were able to eat up the clock.  It looked like we were going to be able to run out the clock or score at the end of the game but for . . .

2.  Villarrial's holding penalty was a killer.  I will have to watch the game again to see if it was justified.  It it was, the penalty had a huge effect on the outcome of the game. The O was clicking and Willis was starting to get in a groove.  Without that holding call, I dare say that the final score would have been 17 - 6. 

3.  We still have problems with the o-line.  Travis and Willis did not have too much room to run.  The problems with the o-line explains why we do not try to stretch the defense with long passes at this point.  Until we can consistently provide time for Drew, look forward to the short passing game.  Mike Williams has a long way to go.  He will forever be compared to Bryant McKinnie. At this point, the comparison is unfavorable for Big Mike.  We made a huge investment in a guy who so far is an average right tackle.  Big Mike is a right tackle who, at this point, is not able to handle quick DE's.  I still think he has a lot of potential, which this staff should be able to get out of him.  We picked him way too high though.  I do have to give credit to Big Mike, Villarrial, and especially Teague on Willis' screen however.  I have to admit Teague made a great block and showed some athleticism on the play.

4.  Travis Henry still does not know how to pass block.  He has not improved since his rookie year.  His deficiencies in this area are highlighted by the fact that Thurman was great at pass blocking.  If you want to see what I am talking about, take a look at what he did on that play designed for Shelton.  In future games, also take the time to watch what he does.

5.  The defense played great until the end.  That goes without saying.

6.  Jimmy Smith pushed Clements in the back on that long pass play at the end of the game. He should have been flagged.  You know that they would have flagged Clements if he had done that.  Nevertheless, Clements should have broken up the pass. If he had, the game would have been over at that point.

7.  Lindell . . . what can you say what has not been said already.  We needed those 3 points.

8.  McGee, I like your enthusiasm and ability, but please learn when to stay in the end zone.

9.  Don Criqui needs to retire or do a show where he just reads lines.  It is sad.  He used to be great several years ago.

10.  I would like to see more of Travis and Willis in the same backfield.

11.  Where did the Bills misplace Lee Evans?  He was great recovering that fumble, but I hope that he is going to do more to justify our investment in him.

12.  The fans at the stadium were great (from what I could see and hear on TV).

13.  What was Fletcher thinking?  Was that on purpose so that the D would have more time to get set with the right players or did he just go nuts? 

14.  Overall, I like the coaching staff.  I am still optimistic about the team, but yesterday's game showed that there is still a world of difference between us and the Patriots.

28898[/snapback]

I am sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong about Travis and his pass blocking. In the chat room, remarks were constantly made about how well travis was picking up blocks. I will say that Willis appears to be the better blocker, but he is also a bigger back more equipped to do so. Picking out Travis' blocking flaws is like saying Ruben used to hold all the time when the stats don't bare it out. Rewatch the game and tell me if i am wrong, but Travis has certainly improved that part of his game.

4.  Travis Henry still does not know how to pass block.  He has not improved since his rookie year.  His deficiencies in this area are highlighted by the fact that Thurman was great at pass blocking.  If you want to see what I am talking about, take a look at what he did on that play designed for Shelton.  In future games, also take the time to watch what he does.

28898[/snapback]

I agree with everything accept this....It was a PLAY-ACTION...The RB has no blocking assignment on a PLAY-ACTION....His duty is to sell the PLAY-ACTION...If you wanna say he didnt sell it well....ok maybe....but saying he didnt/missed block on that play makes you look foolish...It was a PLAY-ACTION....

I am sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong about Travis and his pass blocking.  In the chat room, remarks were constantly made about how well travis was picking up blocks.  I will say that Willis appears to be the better blocker, but he is also a bigger back more equipped to do so.  Picking out Travis' blocking flaws is like saying Ruben used to hold all the time when the stats don't bare it out.  Rewatch the game and tell me if i am wrong, but Travis has certainly improved that part of his game.

28941[/snapback]

Exactly he had a very good day blocking...He didnt miss one blocking assignment all day....

I agree with everything accept this....It was a PLAY-ACTION...The RB has no blocking assignment on a PLAY-ACTION....His duty is to sell the PLAY-ACTION...If you wanna say he didnt sell it well....ok maybe....but saying he didnt/missed block on that play makes you look foolish...It was a PLAY-ACTION....

28954[/snapback]

You should watch the play again. Even with a play action pass, the RB is supposed to occupy one or more defenders.

Moreover, Travis DID try to block the guy. He failed miserably and ended up on his belly while his guy sacked Drew.

I will watch the play again to confirm my recollection of it. You should too.

Exactly he had a very good day blocking...He didnt miss one blocking assignment all day....

28965[/snapback]

Actually not a true statement, there were several times where he either gave up on a block or just seemed to float and get out of the play. Good thing was the Oline overall played well on pass blocking and blitz pickup wasn't needed from Travis. I wouldn't say Travis did bad, but he was good either.

Actually not a true statement, there were several times where he either gave up on a block or just seemed to float and get out of the play.  Good thing was the Oline overall played well on pass blocking and blitz pickup wasn't needed from Travis.  I wouldn't say Travis did bad, but he was good either.

28973[/snapback]

Thats the thing he was good....Please watch the game....How many times was Drew on his ASS?? I remember only two plays were Bledsoe was koncked down...one was a busted play that Bledsoe wisely threw away and took a hit...the other was a 3rd down strike to Moulds that Mcgahee missed the LBer blitz...Henry had a good day bottom line...

You should watch the play again.  Even with a play action pass, the RB is supposed to occupy one or more defenders. 

Moreover, Travis DID try to block the guy.  He failed miserably and ended up on his belly while his guy sacked Drew.

I will watch the play again to confirm my recollection of it.  You should too.

28967[/snapback]

On a Play-Action the RB's assignment is to "decieve" first then if the play runs longer then usual 3-4 seconds then a block or out let option for the QB is in order...The play was busted cause Jacksonville didnt bite on play-action and played it well....not because Henry missed a any block....

Your grasping at something thats not there.....to try and make it seem like Henry was awful at pass blocking.....which he wasnt...

Ok looks as if YOOOO needs some cold hard facts.

Ist drive in question

Buffalo Bills at 14:54

1-10-BUF17 (14:54) T.Henry right guard to BUF 20 for 3 yards (J.Henderson).

2-7-BUF20 (14:19) D.Bledsoe right tackle to BUF 17 for -3 yards (P.Spicer). Broken play.

3-10-BUF17 (13:45) (Shotgun) D.Bledsoe pass to L.Evans to BUF 25 for 8 yards (J.Bolden). Caught in right flat at BUF 25.

4-2-BUF25 (13:11) B.Moorman punts 46 yards to JAX 29, Center-J.Dorenbos. J.Lewis to JAX 35 for 6 yards (J.Dorenbos).

Second drive in question

1-15-JAC43 (10:30) (No Huddle) D.Bledsoe pass to T.Henry to JAX 48 for -5 yards (M.Peterson). Screen pass left, caught at JAX 48. Pressure on QB by 3 Jaguars.

Receiving stats

W. McGahee 1 12 0 12

T. Henry 3 9 0 8

Look at that -3 yards Bledsoe broken play right tackle. Why was Bledsoe running right tackle? That's right Henry ran the wrong way. Result PUNT

look at the second drive in question

Pass to Henry for -5 yards. Why did he get -5 on a screen? Lets see my big ass huge O-lineman go to the right so i'll go to the left and get -5!!!

Look at those receiving stats for Henry 3 catched( its a miracle he caught them) for 9 yards. Are these winning numbers? Is this how you win games? They keep talking about mental errors even last year. Could it be Henry be the cause of most of them because he is too stupid ? How many yards receiving did Preist, griffin, Tomilson, or about every other back in the league get yesterday??????

Wake up Buffalo HENRY HAS GOT TO GO or we will continue to be a piss poor offense!!!!!

Ok looks as if YOOOO needs some cold hard facts.

Ist drive in question

Buffalo Bills at 14:54

1-10-BUF17 (14:54) T.Henry right guard to BUF 20 for 3 yards (J.Henderson).

2-7-BUF20 (14:19) D.Bledsoe right tackle to BUF 17 for -3 yards (P.Spicer). Broken play.

3-10-BUF17 (13:45) (Shotgun) D.Bledsoe pass to L.Evans to BUF 25 for 8 yards (J.Bolden). Caught in right flat at BUF 25.

4-2-BUF25 (13:11) B.Moorman punts 46 yards to JAX 29, Center-J.Dorenbos. J.Lewis to JAX 35 for 6 yards (J.Dorenbos).

Second drive in question

1-15-JAC43 (10:30) (No Huddle) D.Bledsoe pass to T.Henry to JAX 48 for -5 yards (M.Peterson). Screen pass left, caught at JAX 48. Pressure on QB by 3 Jaguars.

Receiving stats

W. McGahee 1 12 0 12

T. Henry 3 9 0 8

Look at that -3 yards Bledsoe broken play right tackle. Why was Bledsoe running right tackle? That's right Henry ran the wrong way. Result  PUNT

look at the second drive in question

Pass to Henry for -5 yards. Why did he get -5 on a screen? Lets see my big ass huge O-lineman go to the right so i'll go to the left and get -5!!!

Look at those receiving stats for Henry 3 catched( its a miracle he caught them) for 9 yards. Are these winning numbers? Is this how you win games? They keep talking about mental errors even last year. Could it be Henry be the cause of most of them because he is too stupid ? How many yards receiving did Preist, griffin,  Tomilson, or about every other back in the league get yesterday??????

Wake up Buffalo HENRY HAS GOT TO GO or we will continue to be a piss poor offense!!!!!

29064[/snapback]

I never said those plays didnt happen....All I'm saying with a new offense stuff like this happens...If Henry continues to do these things week in and week out then i will agree that Henry isnt a good back because he doesnt have the "HEAD" for the game....But it was a couple msicues in one game with a NEW offense...

I know what your saying but you have to wonder about all the miscues last year too. Two out of the 9 offensive drives Henry played in were stopped because of him!!! thats 22 % of the drives he played in that I can see from TV that were obvious were because of him. There could be more. Then you throw in the moulds/Bledsoe fumbles, a holding call at a bad time and a couple of bad play calls and you end up with a pitifull offense and a loss!!! If Henry runs the right plays and Bledsoe/Moulds holds onto the ball we win easy!!!

I know what your saying but you have to wonder about all the miscues last year too. Two out of the 9 offensive drives Henry played in were stopped because of him!!!  thats 22 % of the drives he played in that I can see from TV that were obvious were because of him. There could be more. Then you throw in the moulds/Bledsoe fumbles, a holding call at a bad time and a couple of bad play calls and you end up with a pitifull offense and a loss!!! If Henry runs the right plays and Bledsoe/Moulds holds onto the ball we win easy!!!

29139[/snapback]

If. If If. If.

I'm so sick of that fu**ing word. If we don't fumble. If we don't hold. If we don't drop the pass. If we knock the ball down. If we blocked. If this and if that, week after week after week after week. Watching this team is like watching Groundhog Day.

Here's another IF for you...

IF we are 0-4 after the Jets game on Oct. 10, I will be surprised IF I don't need to go to a mental hospital.

I know what your saying but you have to wonder about all the miscues last year too. Two out of the 9 offensive drives Henry played in were stopped because of him!!!  thats 22 % of the drives he played in that I can see from TV that were obvious were because of him. There could be more. Then you throw in the moulds/Bledsoe fumbles, a holding call at a bad time and a couple of bad play calls and you end up with a pitifull offense and a loss!!! If Henry runs the right plays and Bledsoe/Moulds holds onto the ball we win easy!!!

29139[/snapback]

I'm threw argueing this with you....

You obviously have no confidence in Henry...I still do.....Lets leave it at that and let this season play out...I'd say by week 8-9 one of us will be right and the other will be wrong...

If your right Henry gets us a draft pick next offseason....If im right we are in the thick of a playoff race...

Lets wait and see...