Nate Clements

BDW1968

The Bills would not tag Clements (if they choose to do so before next seasons FA signing period so there is no way they make this move simply because he fails to resign before the season begins.

All signs point to this at least being a long drawn out discussion because even if both sides decide to a deal, it will almost certainly call for the bonus to be paid in two tiers because of salary cap restrictions under the current cap number and simply negotiating the details of this will take a while.

I think the more likely case is that it will not be in Clements interests to sign a deal before the cap for next season is released after this season and no deal will occur until next year and likely the best move for the Bills will be to franchise tag Clements.

I think most of us Bills fans are getting our panties all up in wad over something that will be decided months from now and likely next year.

So if he does sign an extension this year, does it count against this year's cap?  The signing bonus will be huge!

412839[/snapback]

If a deal is negotiated that impacts this year's base pay then I believe that counts aginst this years pay. However, I believe any bonus payout would be prorated over the life of the new contract.

I think this bonus is the issue as merely to hold the payment to a prorated level equal to the extra cap room we have right now would mean a 6 year contract to prorate an $18 million into a $3 mill per year cap hit and any salarry payments equalling at least the vet minmum for that year on top o that.

By dividing the bonus into two tiers the Bills could reduce the cap hit and amount to be prorate, but the future bonus would credibly have to be something NC might actually fail to make or it will be ruled an easily made bonus and the full bonus assesed. If I am NC I would be quite reluctant to take a deal for a bonus I would not get if I got hurt bad enough to ruin my effectiveness but not bad enough to end my career for example.

My guess is that it makes by far the most sense for NC not to sign before he hits the market and when he does for the Bills to tag him. Negotiating now makes sense even if no final deal is likely because there are enough details that the quicker you start working the quicker you get done regardless of the outcome.