OT: Serious question

The_Real

According to the official LL rules (or at least the site I found them on's version of the official LL rules)

Stealing is not allowed in TBall, Minors and Majors.  A balk cannot be called in these age groups either.

Stealing is allowed in Juniors, Seniors and Big League.  A balk can be called in these age groups.

If the LL rules are strictly enforced a 9-12 year old should never play in a league where stealing is allowed.

The confusing thing is that the leagues overlap age groups.

Age 5-8 is Tball.

Age 7-12 is Minors.

Age 9-12 is Majors.

Age 13-14 is Juniors

Age 14-16 is Seniors

Age 16-18 is Big League.

Add on top of this whatever your local little league wants to change.  You know, the coaches kid who just has to skip tee ball altogether and move up Juniors because he is so good.

411174[/snapback]

Nope that must be that leagues rules. Here is the rule:

7.13- (Tee Ball/Minors/Majors only) When a pitcher is in contact with the pitcher's plate and in possession of the ball and the catcher is in the catcher's box ready to receive delivery of ball, base runners shall not leave their bases until the ball has been delivered and has reached the batter.

The violation by one base runner shall affect all other base runners -

(a)when a base runner leaves the base before the pitched ball has reached the batter and the batter does not hit the ball, the runner is permitted to continue, If splay is made on the runner and the runner is out, the out stands, If said runner reaches safely the base to which the runner is advancing, that runner must be returned to the base occupied before the pitch was made, and no out results;

(b)when a base runner leaves the base before the pitched ball has reached the batter and the batter hits the ball, the base runner or runners are permitted to continue, If a play is made and the runner or runners are put out, the out or outs will stand, If not put out, the runner or runners must return to the original base or bases or to the unoccupied base nearest the one that was left;

In no event shall the batter advance beyond first base on a single or error, second base on a double or third base on a triple. The umpire-in-chief shall determine the base value of the hit ball.

©when any base runner leaves the base before the pitched ball has reached the batter and the batter bunts or hits a ball within the infield, no run shall be allowed to score If three runners were on the bases and the batter reaches first base safely, each runner shall advance to the base beyond the one they occupied at the start of the play except the runner who occupied third base, which runner shall be removed from the base without a run being scored.

The reason they're on the air is because most people (God knows for what reasons) listen to this station only as opposed to Empire or WSNA and that is why they're still on the air.  Sad, isn't it?

410655[/snapback]

Actually, the reason they are on the air is when Adelphia went bankrupt the radio station (WNSA) and TV station (Empire) were put up for sale. WNSA was bought by the owners of WGR and for whatever inane reason the owners of WGR decided to keep WGR running and killed WNSA (it's now a good music station "The Lake"). I understand why they wanted to keep only 1 sports station (higher ratings for that 1 station, although total listenership is down (I would have to believe)), but why they kept WGR over the FAR SUPERIOR (in signal strength and quality of programming) WNSA is something I will never understand. Must have something to do with hubris / arrogance. It is my understanding that Howard was beating Schopp at the time WNSA went under and also that the morning show was beating WGR's at the time.

As for EMPIRE folding, there was a legitimate bidder for Empire, but Adelphia decided that it would cost it money in the long run as it would have to pay a fee to Empire to carry it on its cable stations. Rather than put a value on good will for keeping Empire around, the bean counters at Adelphia decided (from their Colorado offices) to say the heck with the Buffalo sports fans.

Finally, Schopp was lousy when he was a "reporter" for the Democrat & Chronicle, was bad as a sports host on WHAM in Rochester, was good (IMHO) as a host on WNSA, and absolutely horrible as a host on WGR.

Dave.

PS, I haven't heard much (ok, any) football on it, but The Fan 590 in Toronto does an excellent job covering hockey and a good job covering baseball. I expect that when we get to NFL season, they will do a decent job covering the Bills (haven't heard much Argo coverage yet). I can only pick it up on the radio in my car (wifey's won't pick it up), so I haven't heard it a whole lot. But it is where Jim Kelley ended up. Maybe if people stateside call in to talk about the Bills, they'll cover them better. Heck, no Bills coverage beats GR's Bills coverage.

According to the official LL rules (or at least the site I found them on's version of the official LL rules)

Stealing is not allowed in TBall, Minors and Majors.  A balk cannot be called in these age groups either.

Stealing is allowed in Juniors, Seniors and Big League.  A balk can be called in these age groups.

If the LL rules are strictly enforced a 9-12 year old should never play in a league where stealing is allowed.

Age 5-8 is Tball.

Age 7-12 is Minors.

Age 9-12 is Majors.

Age 13-14 is Juniors

Age 14-16 is Seniors

Age 16-18 is Big League.

Add on top of this whatever your local little league wants to change.  You know, the coaches kid who just has to skip tee ball altogether and move up Juniors because he is so good.

411174[/snapback]

I said I played from 8-12 and it wasn't allowed. I knew it.

Na na

:lol:

Nope that must be that leagues rules.  Here is the rule:

7.13- (Tee Ball/Minors/Majors only) When a pitcher is in contact with the pitcher's plate and in possession of the ball and the catcher is in the catcher's box ready to receive delivery of ball, base runners shall not leave their bases until the ball has been delivered and has reached the batter.

The violation by one base runner shall affect all other base runners -

(a)when a base runner leaves the base before the pitched ball has reached the batter and the batter does not hit the ball, the runner is permitted to continue, If splay is made on the runner and the runner is out, the out stands, If said runner reaches safely the base to which the runner is advancing, that runner must be returned to the base occupied before the pitch was made, and no out results;

(b)when a base runner leaves the base before the pitched ball has reached the batter and the batter hits the ball, the base runner or runners are permitted to continue, If a play is made and the runner or runners are put out, the out or outs will stand, If not put out, the runner or runners must return to the original base or bases or to the unoccupied base nearest the one that was left;

In no event shall the batter advance beyond first base on a single or error, second base on a double or third base on a triple. The umpire-in-chief shall determine the base value of the hit ball.

©when any base runner leaves the base before the pitched ball has reached the batter and the batter bunts or hits a ball within the infield, no run shall be allowed to score If three runners were on the bases and the batter reaches first base safely, each runner shall advance to the base beyond the one they occupied at the start of the play except the runner who occupied third base, which runner shall be removed from the base without a run being scored.

411206[/snapback]

I should get to the end of a thread before I put my foot in my mouth. :lol:

Rule

From the Official Little League Rule Book , the poster explaining age differences was correct, take note the last sentence in official rules : (There is no balk in Majors, Minor League or T-Ball

Section

8.05 - An illegal pitch (A balk in Junior/Senior/Big League baseball when a runner or runners are on base) is when -

(a)the pitcher, while touching the plate, makes any motion naturally associated with the pitch and fails to make such delivery;

(b)the pitcher, while touching the plate, feints a throw to first base and fails to complete the throw;

©the pitcher, while touching the plate, fails to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base;

(d)the pitcher, while touching the plate, throws, or feints a throw to an unoccupied base, except for the purpose of making a play;

(e)the pitcher makes an illegal pitch; Umpires will judge a quick pitch as one delivered before the batter is reasonably set in the batter's box.

NOTE: A quick pitch is an illegal pitch

(f)the pitcher delivers the ball to the batter while not facing the batter;

(g)the pitcher makes any motion naturally associated with the pitch while not touching the pitcher's plate;

(h)the pitcher unnecessarily delays the game;

(i)the pitcher, without having the ball, stands on or astride the pitcher's plate or while off the plate feints a pitch;

(j)the pitcher, while touching the plate, accidentally or intentionally drops the ball;

(k)the pitcher, while giving an intentional base on balls, pitches when the catcher is not in the catcher's box.

NOTE: There is no balk in Little League (majors), Minor League or Tee Ball.

Age 5-8 is Tball.

Age 7-12 is Minors.

Age 9-12 is Majors.

Age 13-14 is Juniors

Age 14-16 is Seniors

Age 16-18 is Big League.

411174[/snapback]

I don't know where you are getting your information from but it is completely inacurate. I just went through two years of NYS Little League tournament play with my youngest son. At the 10 year old level they went to the round of 8. Many games with stealing. The only qualifier is you can't leave the bag untill the ball crosses the plate. This year at the 11 year old level we went to the round of 16.

In our second game a balk was called due to the pitcher completing most of his windup and then stopping. A balk was called and the batter awarded a ball.

NEXT YEAR....WILLIAMSPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe that on this board there are many intelligent fans of sports.  I believe there are even more intelligent human beings.  I am so tired of the horse sh!@ that WGR makes it's fans go through. 

Today, some older gentlemen from ohio calls in to tell Mike Schopp that there couldn't be a balk in little league baseball because players aren't allowed to lead off.  I played little league and know that to be true.  As you get older yes, but 10/11 year old kids can't steal bases. 

Schopp disagrees and basically hangs up on the guy.  He was an older guy just calling to talk sports and the arrogant d!C#@ead Schopp treats him like a piece of garbage.  I think that's just wrong.  I think it was the biggest hunk of crap I've ever heard on the radio. 

I seriously wanted to slap him.  Couple this with the rumors they create with Bills players and their bad working relationship with the Bills and there you have a recipe for the worst sports talk radio show in the world.  Yet, if you are a sports fan in Buffalo what are your alternatives to listen to Sports talk. 

WNSA was my favorite by far.  They were informative and they took the time to reflect on the fans opinions.  These clowns are just rude inconsiderate pricks. 

So, what would I have to do to start a 5 hour show in buffalo on an existing radio station or create my own station?  How expensive would it be and who's with me? 

I'm dead serious.  Being a part of the media isn't what I want and I don't want to be on the air, I just want serious sports talk for the serious fans with out the garbage that WGR puts us through. 

What do you guys think? 

t-r

I think this is going to be my project away from the bong.  I'm  100% serious and willing to spend some money to do it, so seriously I would love any information you might have. 

Thanks for your time.

410457[/snapback]

FWIW -- I played Little League and leading off and stealing was allowed for us in the 10-12yrs division for awhile, and then it was removed. I played in the East Lovejoy league where the coaches pretty much had discretion on what the rules would be.

With that said, allowing leading off/stealing at that age is dumb. Ever see a pitcher try to pick someone off at that age? It was an accomplishment to just have a pitcher get the ball over the plate, let alone have the catcher catch it and make that farrrrr throw to second base.

It worked out well for me though as I was always one of the faster kids. Any single would soon be turned into a triple a few pitches later. Ricky Henderson couldn't hold a match to me I was so prolific. Unfortunately each team had 3 guys like that too -- which is why it was a dumb rule.

Balks were called though!

The Cliff-Notes version of Promo's post: Sounds suspiciously like what Howard and Jim tried to do last summer....

You are correct. But I just wanted to be sure the behind-the-scenes stuff was brought up. Broadcasting only seems easy. It's been my career for going on 30 years now. I'm all too aware how tough it can be.

PTR

410632[/snapback]

Actually, thanks for that informative post. Your expertise on the subject is appreciated by those of us who are interested in radio/TV, but aren't actually in the biz....

Guess I was just trying to back up your point about how difficult it would be to pull off, by pointing out that two professionals, WITH great name recognition in the market and with the support of their former colleagues at Empire, still had beaucoup problems trying to make a go of it....