Bertuzzi reinstated after serving "suspension"

Fezmid

Sign him up Darcy!  The Sab's can always use a goon!

403796[/snapback]

Id take this boy heartbeat. Best all around player in the league to me. Also, while everyone is saying it was a 13 game suspension, I believe it included the entire playoffs as well. That is a pretty steep suspension, and it penalize the whole team as well as Bertuzzi.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, while everyone is saying it was a 13 game suspension, I believe it included the entire playoffs as well. That is a pretty steep suspension, and it penalize the whole team as well as Bertuzzi.

403808[/snapback]

I always said it included the playoffs:

So Bertuzzi serves a suspension for 13 games + playoffs for (in essence) intentionally ending the career of a player,

Plus, it's not like Bertuzzi doesn't have a rap sheet for other similar things in the past.

If the Sabres signed/traded for him, I'd stop watching the Sabres, plain and simple. Would anyone here want the Bills to sign Ray Lewis? I'd probably stop watching the Bills if they did that as well (I can only say probably to the NFL though....) I thought we took pride in signing upstanding citizens on our sports teams? :(

CW

I always said it included the playoffs:

Plus, it's not like Bertuzzi doesn't have a rap sheet for other similar things in the past.

If the Sabres signed/traded for him, I'd stop watching the Sabres, plain and simple.  Would anyone here want the Bills to sign Ray Lewis?  I'd probably stop watching the Bills if they did that as well (I can only say probably to the NFL though....)  I thought we took pride in signing upstanding citizens on our sports teams? :(

CW

403810[/snapback]

I'm with you. The whole discussion of DUI came from the earlier comment that what happened was somehow an "accident." I never did think of it as an accident anyway, but a premeditated act. The result was perhaps not intended, but it was too closely related to the act to be accidental. What Bertuzzi did should cost him his license to play hockey (so to speak). If the NHL ever wanted to end gooning, this was their chance. Now we know where they stand.

I'm with you. The whole discussion of DUI came from the earlier comment that what happened was somehow an "accident." I never did think of it as an accident anyway, but a premeditated act. The result was perhaps not intended, but it was too closely related to the act to be accidental. What Bertuzzi did should cost him his license to play hockey (so to speak). If the NHL ever wanted to end gooning, this was their chance. Now we know where they stand.

403834[/snapback]

What I don't get is why one guy gets a one-year suspension for using his stick as a club, but Bertuzzi doesn't get the same (or even a similar) punishment? Both were premeditated attacks from behind. Bert's was worse, IMHO, because he shoved the guy's head into the ice.

And I'm not buying the "he suffered during the lockout" any more than Moore is buying it.

Oh well.

CW

403810[/snapback]

I tried to google for evidence to support your statement but I'm coming up blank - do you remember any specific incidents of similar things?

I think of Bertuzzi as a power forward with a bit of a yellow streak - he will scrap smaller players but avoids contact with the bigger guys (Bertuzzi is 6'3" and 245). I have seen him play a lot (maybe 30-40 times live and on TV) and I don't remember any behavior to compare to what he did to Moore.

fez while i dont agree with you that he should be banned. Another 10 or 20 games would have been fine with me. You also seem to forget that since he was still suspended all last year he was unable to play in Europe and at the world cup of hockey and the world championships.

Bert's was worse, IMHO, because he shoved the guy's head into the ice.

403848[/snapback]

Bertuzzi assault

Here is a brief copy of the video - it sure doesn't look to me like he shoved Moore's head into the ice. It appears to me that Bertuzzi was moving faster than Moore and pulled Moore into his body with his left hand while gooning him with the right. When Moore fell over their momentum would have brought Bertuzzi down - although Bertuzzi definitely doesn't try to avoid landing on Moore he doesn't even appear to touch his head.

I tried to google for evidence to support your statement but I'm coming up blank - do you remember any specific incidents of similar things?

Maybe this will change your mind a bit:

http://www.glassrattler.com/cgi-bin/ultima...ic;f=1;t=001548

1991 - playing in the northern Ontario midget championships, when his team was beaten out in the finals by Sault Ste. Marie, Bertuzzi chased the winning team's bus out of the parking lot, swearing and pounding on the windows, out of control.

1992- The next year, his first in the Ontario Hockey League, Bertuzzi missed the end of that season and the beginning of the next when he was suspended 15 games for kicking a Kitchener player.

1993- In his own locker room, for no apparent reason other than jealousy, he punched out teammate Jeff O'Neill.

NHL - Bertuzzi punched linesman Jean Morin in a 1996 scuffle and was suspended for three games

2001 - Suspended 10 games for coming off the bench and attacking Colorado player.

fez while i dont agree with you that he should be banned. Another 10 or 20 games would have been fine with me. You also seem to forget that since he was still suspended all last year he was unable to play in Europe and at the world cup of hockey and the world championships.

403853[/snapback]

Did you actually READ the thread?! :D:D

I never said he should be banned, I said he should miss at LEAST another 20-40 games (personally I think he should miss the entire season and come back next year...).

He didn't play Europe because, as someone else mentioned, they don't play his style of game there. And he missed out on the World Cup of Hockey? I think I said, "Big whooop" to that one already.

Is it too much to ask you to read the whole thread before commenting?

CW

403853[/snapback]

Hmmm...if I were already a millionaire, and were to hit your brother from behind and break his neck, ending his employment as well as causing much pain and rehabilitation, would you say it would be also be equitable if I didn't draw a wage for a third of my work year?

Hmmm...if I were already a millionaire, and were to hit your brother from behind and break his neck, ending his employment as well as causing much pain and rehabilitation, would you say it would be also be equitable if I didn't draw a wage for a third of my work year?

403874[/snapback]

Don't forget that you'd have to do 80 hours of community service as well! :D

CW

Here's a real article discussing Bertuzzi's past:

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:25xay...rap+sheet&hl=en

This doesn't talk about the minor things he's done (like slashing people after the play is over, etc; just ask the Minnesota Wild players).  It's only a list of the more "serious" issues.

CW

403886[/snapback]

That just seems like a lot of extra words around the first story you posted. :D It would have been nice to see a detailed description of the incidents. He speculates about Nikolishin preventing further injuries to Moore, but its probably just as valid to suggest that Nikolishin's piling on worsened the injury.

Thanks for the links.

I wouldn't have minded another 20 - 40 games for Bertuzzi, as long as the decision was made and we could move forward. The "indefinite suspension" was one of Bettman's bad decisions because it kept the incident in the news indefinitely.

I still think suspending him for life would have been over the top.

That just seems like a lot of extra words around the first story you posted.  :D 

The first link was simply a message board, the second link was from a news organization (albeit cached in google). We all know that you can't always trust a message board, thus my second post. :D

CW

The first link was simply a message board, the second link was from a news organization (albeit cached in google).  We all know that you can't always trust a message board, thus my second post. :D

CW

403905[/snapback]

I've read Steve Simmons a lot - he probably built the story around that post on the message board. :D