Big 30 final score: Pennsy 49, N.Y. 22

Lori

For those Wallers who hail from the Twin Tiers (and I know there are several of us on here), a short recap of tonight's 32nd-annual Don Raabe Big 30 Charities Classic, matching graduated seniors from opposing sides of the PA-NY state line...

What a glorious evening for a high school football game - low humidity, temps in the 70s at kickoff instead of the 90s we've been experiencing here lately, gorgeous sunset.

Let's see if I can correctly predict Chuck Pollock's headline later this morning. The obvious choice is something along the lines of "Graham 'Terror'-izes N.Y. Defense"....

Otto-Eldred Terrors RB Virgil Graham broke the Big 30 Game records for rushing yardage and touchdowns (10 carries - 158 yards - 5 TDs), as the Keystone ground game ran roughshod over the New York squad. I don't have the complete records here - they'll probably be in this morning's TH - but the 326 rushing yards racked up by the PA offense might also be a new record.

Both teams hit their fair share of big plays in the passing game, but overall, I thought the PA offensive and defensive lines dominated the game. O-line was blowing open HUGE holes for the PA RBs; from my vantage point in the end zone, I could tell Graham was going to go in for his first touchdown before he even got to the line of scrimmage.

When NY had the ball: Bolivar-Richburg QB Kirk Konert is a heck of a ballplayer, but it seemed like he had somebody in his face on just about every play. He still managed to make some nice plays, running for a long TD on an option. Overall, though, the Pennsy D applied heavy pressure on most passing downs, and did a good job of stringing out running plays to the sidelines.

Don't look now, New Yorkers, but we're catching up.... :D

(I *think* the overall record is now something like 17-14 NY, with one tie.)

EDIT: TH has slightly different numbers than what I heard on the radio, and they have Konert with two rushing TDs, Portville's Brian Nitsche with the other, and no NY passing TDs. (I missed the first TD while I was circling the parking lot. Radio guys must have gotten their states mixed up on the passing TDs on the recap I heard, and I didn't catch the discrepancy. 'Ms. Information' regrets the error.)

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm shocked that this game manages to carry on. I thought the recent lack of interest would be its downfall.

My friend tore his ACL in that game ('88) before he was to begin practice at Alfred U. That was the end of his football career.

It's okay though, he and his wife had their 3rd baby (and first girl) on Friday. :blink:

Bolivar? Freaking BOLIVAR?  :blink:

401239[/snapback]

Easy on Bolivar! My Mom's entire family is from Bolivar. Kurt, Bolivar's QB dates my cousin and he's off to play football down here at Davidson College (DIII). Great athlete, I was told they are planning to use him as a wide receiver.

Easy on Bolivar! My Mom's entire family is from Bolivar. Kurt, Bolivar's QB dates my cousin and he's off to play football down here at Davidson College (DIII). Great athlete, I was told they are planning to use him as a wide receiver.

401365[/snapback]

Sorry.....it's an inside joke at work when one of the maintenance crew has to drive to Bolivar to fix something. I always snicker when I drive past the exit on my way to #89's house, :blink: Even funnier though is when they have to drive to Shinglehouse, PA. :P

Sorry.....it's an inside joke at work when one of the maintenance crew has to drive to Bolivar to fix something. I always snicker when I drive past the exit on my way to #89's house,  :blink: Even funnier though is when they have to drive to Shinglehouse, PA.  :P

401418[/snapback]

Yeah, they do have one stop light and fifty bars in town.

401365[/snapback]

Once upon a time, the Bolivar Bulldogs were one of the better teams around these parts. I miss the old Border Conference; there were some heated rivalries there (including a couple of on-field brawls at Port A - Bolivar games in the late 70s)...

As I said - Konert was under heavy pressure most of the night, but you could still tell the kid has talent. Maybe not first-round NFL draft pick talent, but about as good as it gets out here in the sticks.

Hopper, I think the game's future is more stable now than it might have been a couple years ago. There seemed to be far fewer players turning down invites or bailing out than in years past, and last night's game was well-attended. (Should have known better than to try to find a place to park half an hour before kickoff. :blink: )

Step on the BDogs you stop on the Reelands- you step on the Reelands you step on AKC!

The Simon Bolivar Museum? The "Bowl-I-Var" lanes? Since my mother was born in Richburg (and my cousin Dave still lives there) I can actually walk to Hungerford Park, which was abandoned in the 1960's. I prefer the summer months to do it though ;-)

Thanks for the mems-

The Simon Bolivar Museum? The "Bowl-I-Var" lanes? Since my mother was born in Richburg (and my cousin Dave still lives there) I can actually walk to Hungerford Park, which was abandoned in the 1960's.  I prefer the summer months to do it though ;-)

401691[/snapback]

Ahhhhhhh the Bowl o var is closed. The fella who owned it and numerous other bowling alleys died in May without a will. The Bowl o var is in limbo.

For fun we head to Richburgs Sunnyhill campsite, build a big fire and kick back a few...