Mularkey Needs More of a Poker Face ...

ChasBB

Excerpt from http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050...?tbd1026621.asp

~~~

Mularkey offered an example of how Losman's running could help the line.

"I've told the tackles you can open up your splits (the space between the guard and tackle) a little more because guys (defensive ends) are going to line up where you split out to," he said. "So if you've got a wide defensive end, I'd take another yard split out and get him even further away from the quarterback."

~~~

Small example -- probably insignificant, but I don't like it when the coaches share ANY strategy with the media. Why tip your hand to the opponent? People from opposing organizations DO read this stuff if they take their jobs seriously. Just give the media the usual BS cliches and don't bother sharing any real football with them -- it only helps our opponents. Again, this example is nothing and I'm probably making too big a deal of it, but the way guys study the game today, you don't want to give them ANYTHING -- let them figure it out on their own -- preferably sometime late in the 4th quarter when it's too late!

I agree with you. Like I said, this particular example is a poor one to make my case on. My point is simply don't bother sharing ANY real football strategy as a general rule-of-thumb. Or, better yet, give 'em misinformation. Might make for boring articles in the news, but if being mum results in just 1 more win the entire season, then it might make all the difference. Just don't like to hear the HC discussing strategy & techniques in public -- that's all.

Like the oppostion won't pick that up on tape anyway.

396799[/snapback]

Umm, all he's saying is that the defense has yet another thing to prep for. If anything he's "complicating" the prep, rather than simplifying it. It's a way of saying that Losman adds a dimension to the offense. It's not like he's saying "On 3rd and 2 we'll always call a screen to McGahee."

I agree with you.  Like I said, this particular example is a poor one to make my case on.  My point is simply don't bother sharing ANY real football strategy as a general rule-of-thumb.  Or, better yet, give 'em misinformation.  Might make for boring articles in the news, but if being mum results in just 1 more win the entire season, then it might make all the difference.  Just don't like to hear the HC discussing strategy & techniques in public -- that's all.

396806[/snapback]

At least make them take the time to watch the tape.