NHL Rule Changes

PTS

I'm happy about this change.  It should open up the middle of the ice and negate the NZ trap.

388317[/snapback]

Time will tell, and it may not be this year, but I think that no center line will make for a more bland (ie, boring) neutral zone trap. It will keep a forechecker from going in because he can get beat with a long pass, a pass that would've been a two liner before.

IMO, no red line is a dumb idea, as is the shootout. 5 skaters and a goalie should determine the game. What's so bad about ties anyway?

They're selling out the game to try to "win fans back." BS. Just lace 'em up and play. Fans will return.

Time will tell, and it may not be this year, but I think that no center line will make for a more bland (ie, boring) neutral zone trap.  It will keep a forechecker from going in because he can get beat with a long pass, a pass that would've been a two liner before. 

IMO, no red line is a dumb idea, as is the shootout.  5 skaters and a goalie should determine the game.  What's so bad about ties anyway? 

They're selling out the game to try to "win fans back."  BS.  Just lace 'em up and play.  Fans will return.

388543[/snapback]

I like old school also, thou, times are changin....

After playing for over 25 years, I'm happy that their tweeking the game alittle.

I think after regulation, they should go to 4 on 4, second overtime 3 on 3, then down to 2 on 2, until its decided. No ties. Leave the net the way it is, kill the red line. Goal hangers like Phil Espozittttttto got their goals, lets play, !@#$.........

I hate Espo, I've told that to his face BTW, a couple of times....... :angry::unsure:

I like old school also, thou, times are changin....

After playing for over 25 years, I'm happy that their tweeking the game alittle.

I think after regulation, they should go to 4 on 4, second overtime 3 on 3, then down to 2 on 2, until its decided. No ties. Leave the net the way it is, kill the red line. Goal hangers like Phil Espozittttttto got their goals, lets play, !@#$.........

I hate Espo, I've told that to his face BTW, a couple of times....... :angry:  :unsure:

388550[/snapback]

I grew up watching Hockey Night in Canada, and then the Punch Imlach-era Sabres. The thing I loved most about that period was all the end-to-end rushes, 2-on-1's, breakaways, etc. There used to be one or two memorable plays like that a game, rather than one or two a week like they play in the Eastern conferences today.

The thing about today's rule changes is that some aren't really that radical. The goal lines were moved two feet further away from the end boards in 1997-98. Now they're going back. The center red line was added in 1943-44. Before that, there were only the two blue lines.

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions/Ho...tion/rules.html

If today's rule changes bring more skating back into the game (imagine all the 4-on-4 possibilities), I'm all for it.

Less room behind the net is stupid- so much offense can be generated from behind the net.

There is nothing wrong with ties- the media tells us we don't like ties, and that we want to see a winner. No- we want to see hockey! Shootouts have nothing to do with hockey.

Why no automatic icing?

No touch icing is overrated. Unless it's a hybrid of what they have in international hockey and the ECHL, I wouldn't want it in the NHL. It sucks so bad when there are two guys digging it out inside the blue line and the ref blows it dead for no touch icing and there's no play on the puck. I'd be all for it if there aren't any players inside the red line or blue line, but if it's the way they enforce it in other leagues then I'll pass.

Less room behind the net is stupid- so much offense can be generated from behind the net.

Moving the net back toward the end boards generates a larger offensive zone, and gives more room for your skaters, allowing them to generate more scoring chances.

I grew up watching Hockey Night in Canada, and then the Punch Imlach-era Sabres.  The thing I loved most about that period was all the end-to-end rushes, 2-on-1's, breakaways, etc.  There used to be one or two memorable plays like that a game, rather than one or two a week like they play in the Eastern conferences today. 

The thing about today's rule changes is that some aren't really that radical.  The goal lines were moved two feet further away from the end boards in 1997-98.  Now they're going back.  The center red line was added in 1943-44.  Before that, there were only the two blue lines.

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions/Ho...tion/rules.html

If today's rule changes bring more skating back into the game (imagine all the 4-on-4 possibilities), I'm all for it.

388611[/snapback]

Thank you, this response comes from someone who knows, and enjoys the game.

Purists, can kiss my ass. Same with baseball.

Drop the puck.

388908[/snapback]

The nets have only been where they are for something like 5 years. They're only moving them back.

The nets have only been where they are for something like 5 years.  They're only moving them back.

388945[/snapback]

I like the goalie trapezoid thing, even though it takes away the skilled goalies like brodeur from playing the puck in the corner.

Time will tell, and it may not be this year, but I think that no center line will make for a more bland (ie, boring) neutral zone trap.  It will keep a forechecker from going in because he can get beat with a long pass, a pass that would've been a two liner before. 

IMO, no red line is a dumb idea, as is the shootout.  5 skaters and a goalie should determine the game.  What's so bad about ties anyway? 

They're selling out the game to try to "win fans back."  BS.  Just lace 'em up and play.  Fans will return.

388543[/snapback]

not to TV

same reason that soccer does not appeal to the masses - lack of scoring and exciting plays

There is nothing wrong with ties- the media tells us we don't like ties, and that we want to see a winner. No- we want to see hockey! Shootouts have nothing to do with hockey.

Why no automatic icing?

388908[/snapback]

the should have moved the goal farther away from the end line so there is a big zone behind the net like lacrosse where plays can be generated

Moving the net back toward the end boards generates a larger offensive zone, and gives more room for your skaters, allowing them to generate more scoring chances.

388919[/snapback]

better answer is to shrink the center ice area and expand the offensvie zones