Don Beebe Speed Camp

bg17

Look at it this way. You can't teach world class speed. By breeding and early training a person is almost always a speed demon or not.

As with most things the key to this decision is likely your goals for your kid.

If one is looking to find a way to teach your kid something that will allow you to retire early off of his athletic take or live vicariously through his glory where you always fell short, then fuggabout it. Beebe speed camp will not do this (not that I have ever been but I can comfortably say this because nothing will do this for you).

If your goal however is to give your kid a parental gift that he wants to do I suspect this is good from the character shown by Beebe through the years and even if it disappoints him it will be a great opportunity to teach and learn discussing the reasons why this disappointed.

In addition, though you cannot teach world class speed one can teach a person as I lwarned back in my old days of the HS track and field team various techniques (leaning into and even anticipating the start, maintaining a g odd consistent running form dweeing upright and into your run as smoothly and quickly as possible anf maintaining the same form until the final lean) that can in fact peel milliseconds off a sprint time that can be interepreted as learning speed.

My guess is that if you are training your kid at a pubescent age hiow to peel off a milliseconmd here or there so he can excel when he makes football training camp you have probably chosen not the best goal, but if you have more reasonable goals like simply adding to your child's confidence level or learning how his/her body is growing and changing this is probably a good thing.

The piec of parental research worth doing is that my recollection is that Beebe was a born-again Christian type.  Not that there is anything intrincically wrong with this (and in fact there are a lot of positives to be said about the discipline and giving of religion, but as we have seen from the public idiocy and actually non-Christian acts of many prominent evangelical preaches like a Jimmy Swaggert or Jim Bakker, I would ask pretty directly about this and if you perceive that it is hamhanded I might keep my kid away from these folks who will be acting in loco parentis at camp.

385789[/snapback]

FFS - Not really interested in any thoughts on Beebe's religion or any perceived connection to the Jimmy Swaggerts of the world. Just wondering if anyone had attended one of Beebe's camps and their thoughts on it. Thanks for all the deep thinking, however.

he he he....for one time in the last 2 years...my post was longer then Sunny's.. :D

A few items:

- I dont remember the initial poster saying anything about "turning sports into a job" I think he was just asking for advice on Don Beebe's speed camp....we kinda got off subject a bit when someone made a comment about slow people always being slow.......

Personally......in youth level football going into high school.....speed is a overrated skill when it comes to being a football player....football players that aren't speed demons make up for it by field positioning and being able to take good angles...

BUT

If a football player wants to be a BETTER football player then they are constantly working on their game.....that means weightlifting, speed, quickness, and agility.......

Trust me.....I may have given my kid gentle nudges here and there to get out and run.......but the joy he is feeling now that he sees great results far outweigh that.....