Why Did You Stay in WNY?

In the thread already asking people why they left the area, it almost seemed like there was little reason to stay in the area. Apparently there still are people living in Buffalo and Rochester and the surrounding area, since I see cars on the road on the way to Canada. So..

1. Why are you still here?

2. How are you making your living?

3. Do you plan on leaving?

4. Is the area fixable?

5. Should I worry about this rash?

In the thread already asking people why they left the area, it almost seemed like there was little reason to stay in the area. Apparently there still are people living in Buffalo and Rochester and the surrounding area, since I see cars on the road on the way to Canada. So..

4. Is the area fixable?

350373[/snapback]

1. Obviously, I'm a Village Idiot. I love WNY and the quality of life. For what I like to do, it offers more to me than any other area I can think of and I've traveled through most of the Continental 48. The Bills are here, the fishing is outstanding, have hundreds of great friends... The weather doesn't bother me at all. Fantastic place to raise kids. Great Schools. I could list positives for hours.

2. Computer Field/Technology

3. Nope - It's about good people and family. I could care less about how much $$ I make. I can live like a king here on a very average income. My escrow gets hit for $2600 total a year. That covers all my property taxes, school taxes and Homeowners Ins. ( Tonawanda) I have a nice big house with a good size yard. I can get everywhere in 20 minutes, including the Ralph. Friendly neighbors. Safe area with low to no crime.

4. It will take a few years but yes. The Polticians have been exposed in the last year and are dropping like flies. It's a start.

4. Is the area fixable?

350373[/snapback]

1. ditto on VI's comments.

2. CPA (small practice - mainstay of our business is other small businesses, located primarily in WNY, and many of whom are quietly thriving. As an aside, I find it humorous that many on this site and elsewhere claim there are no jobs in WNY yet the #1 problem for nearly all our clients is finding and retaining good people).

3. No

4. Not sure, but I hope so. I further intend to do my part in our little revolution going on here now and keep the heat on our elected officials. No more sitting on the sidelines.

Interesting comment about finding and retaining good employees. What type of businesses are looking for good people?

350445[/snapback]

All across the board (retail, wholesale, manufacturing, service, etc.). I'm not saying there are as many jobs or they are easy to find. I'm just saying that there are good jobs in this area. The best suggestion I could give anyone looking for a job here is network, network, network (family, friends, former business acquaintances, parole officer). Many of my client's jobs never hit the street. They are filled through some connection without a want ad ever being placed.

Many of my client's jobs never hit the street. They are filled through some connection without a want ad ever being placed.

350469[/snapback]

Most your clients are local governments? :D

The number one main reason my husband and I stay is for our kids and our families. My husband has two kids from a previous marriage that he wouldn't see much of if we left the area. My son's roots are also firmly planted and I couldn't tear him away from his friends and his hockey team (or his dad for that matter).

Plus I like living in Hamburg. It's a quiet area but still close to everything (5 minutes from the Ralph). It's far enough away from the city where I don't feel the need to lock my doors during the day when I'm home. I also like the four seasons. If our kids someday do leave the area, we won't be too far behind.

I do think the area is fixable, but not with the self-serving politicians that rule the area. The waterfront has sooo much unrealized potential. Pataki could give us a hand, but he won't. Won't even return Higgin's calls. It's such a waste of space, literally. Have you driven down route 5 lately? Over the Skyway to the 190? It's a sad sight.

We are completely disgusted with local politics, but obviously not enough to leave. If it's still the same in 15-25 years, we'll probably retire to Virginia.