Compensation for TH when he bolts as a FA in '06

I was reading a wonderfully typical TD bashing article from the Devil, I mean Jerry Sullivan of the Buffalo News, this afternoon only to think about it a few hours later. In the article, as I am sure many of you read he complained as to why TD didn't try to get even a 4th rounder for Travis. Which I believe is tremendously undervalue for quality back such as Travis.

The question is, do we get a compensatory pick if TH were to leave via free agency, provided we do not sign a player at that position with equal or greater value? Obviously the big question is what is TH's value if he doesn't get significant time if any this year? I do know that we were not awarded a compensatory pick when Antoine Winfield left for the Vikes b/c we signed perrenial pro bowl CB Troy Vincent. Equal or greater value. We should be getting compensatory picks in next years draft for both Pat Williams and Jonus Jennings, and do to there value, and potentially even their high price tag, I would suspect we would fetch extras picks at the end of the 3rd, 4th or 5th. I am not entirely sure how the compensatory pick system works. Anyone have a clue what we may be getting pick wise for any of these FA's down the road?

Not that it matters, but if TD says we weren't even offered a 3rd rounder, then I don't blame him for hanging on to TH. I think we will be able to unload him at somepoint before the season starts or even after that first big name back (Priest Holmes...whoever) goes down with an injury. Then his value will be greater and we should be able to get a future pick of more significance.

I think it's based on salary and PT, not position.

Won't know about TH till next year when we see who we sign and if he plays.

JJ and Pat should provide us with some compensation next year because our most expensive FA was a QB who may not play.

By agreement between the NFL and NFLPA there is no compensation given specifically for an FA who is lost.

Though the foundation of the agreement is one to restrain trade because a free market where everyone is free to buy and sale services results in a worse product. In general there does tend to be more of a free market regarding FAs.

The owners insisted upon some restraint of trade so there is some general compesation given to teams in the form of additional draft picks from the league. This is determined by the NFL and NFLPA each year in a no-public forum.

However, even this transitional compensation is slowly being pgased out and is capped at 3rd round picks being rewarded in general and not attached to a single market move.