New Lion Cubs Ready to Roar

Lori

(DISCLAIMER: I wimped out on going when I saw the weather forecast for Saturday. These observations were made from watching the scrimmage as it aired on WPSX, then taping and breaking down the rebroadcast on FoxSportsPittsburgh later that evening...)

On a rainy April afternoon when most of their high school classmates were still looking ahead to their senior proms, much-hyped Nittany Lion recruits Justin King and Derrick Williams were strutting their stuff on a bigger stage - the grassy floor of 110,000-seat Beaver Stadium. While the nasty weather kept attendance at the 2005 Blue-White scrimmage down to about 40,000 and a nearby lightning strike sent everyone to the exits with 1:36 left in the third quarter, the two 'grayshirt' freshmen got plenty of chances to show the Happy Valley faithful what all the commotion was about.

Offensive coordinator Galen Hall left the traditional three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust playbook in the locker room, with a majority of the plays run out of shotgun-formation, three- and four-WR sets. King and Williams both lined up at wideout with the starters when the Blue offense took the field, and QB Michael Robinson opened the drive with a 35-yard completion to King down the left sideline. He came back with a quick out to Williams in the right flat for a 9-yard gain, then bootlegged around right end for the first down. A Tony Hunt fumble into the end zone on first-and-goal kept the score 0-0 after the first series.

Robinson, a three-time Academc All-Big 10 selection, appeared to solidify his grip on the starting job. He showed renewed confidence both throwing and running the ball, ending his limited action a perfect 6-6 for 143 yards and turning a low shotgun snap into an 8-yard scramble for a TD on the Blue team's second drive. Their third possession also struck paydirt, after passes to King and Williams set up Hunt's 5-yard TD run on first-and-goal, and the projected 2005 starters headed to the bench with a 14-0 lead.

The Blue defense, loaded with returning starters, also looked ready for prime-time. White team QBs Anthony Morelli and Paul Cianciolo faced heavy pressure and were unsuccessful moving the ball. The only White score came just before halftime, on a short TD run from backup FB BranDon Snow. DE Tamba Hali and LBs Paul Posluszny and Dan Connor could all merit attention for All-American status by the end of next season, and if Justin King intends to start both ways, he'll have to beat out solid senior CBs Alan Zemaitis or Anwar Philips for the opportunity.

The 2005 schedule begins with home games against South Florida, Cincinnati, and Central Michigan, meaning the Lions could well be 3-0 when they head for Northwestern to start the Big 10 schedule. With nine starters back from a top-10-ranked defense, any offensive improvement - and there's certainly room to improve - should have Penn State bowling in December... or perhaps even early January.

NOTES:

-With 2004 starters EZ Smith and Tyler Reed sitting out spring practice for off-the-field stupidity, redshirt seniors Lance Antolick (C ) and John Wilson (RT) and junior Robert Price (RG) joined holdovers Levi Brown (LT) and Charles Rush (LG) on the starting unit.

-Austin Scott remains sidelined with an ankle injury, so Rodney Kinlaw (two years removed from tearing an ACL) and Matt Hahn got most of the action behind Tony Hunt at tailback. Kinlaw could also see significant time as a third-down back...

-Ethan Kilmer and Terrell Golden were the other starting wideouts for the Blue team, which opened the game in a 4-WR set. Golden played for both squads; Mark Rubin (sophomore from Amherst, NY) and Jordan Norwood (another January 2005 enrollee, and son of PSU assistant coach Brian Norwood) were the other starting WRs for the White team.

-Both King and Williams will see time at PR/KR. (Since no special-teams plays other than PATs were run, their reps Saturday were limited to fair-catching punts.)

-50 players on this year's roster currently carry 3.0 or better GPAs.

-Halftime ceremonies honored the unbeaten 1995 Rose Bowl Championship team. By my count, at least eight players from that team are still active in the NFL - not bad for ten years later.

(Before you ask: QB Kerry Collins, TE Kyle Brady, K Brett Conway, G Marco Rivera, S Kim Herring, WR Bobby Engram, LB Jim Nelson, DL Brandon Noble. I'm not sure about Noble.)

King is not going to beat out Phillips for a CB spot. Although Zemaitas isn't as talented as Phillips, PSU loves him, so I don't see him beating out AZ, either.

Even though he hasn't done much (thanks to "The Curse"), KJ is still an active player as well, I believe. At least, he was as of last year.

• 6 months later...
King is not going to beat out Phillips for a CB spot.  Although Zemaitas isn't as talented as Phillips, PSU loves him, so I don't see him beating out AZ, either. 

Even though he hasn't done much (thanks to "The Curse"), KJ is still an active player as well, I believe.  At least, he was as of last year.

319156[/snapback]

I dunno, Rich - that Zemaitis kid is starting to grow on me.... 0:)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.