Why Clements deal wont work

ans4e64

ok.... Clements has publicly stated he wants to be a free agent, and he wants to test the market. If you are another team (specifically the redskins) why are you going to trade your #1 pick for a guy who your going to have for one year? It doesnt make sense. Now, the obvious solution would require Clements to sign and then trade, which we already know he doesnt want to do since he wants to test the market. If we get anything for Clements it wont be big, definitely not a first rounder, so my guess is that unless Clements changes his opinion he'll be in a Bill's uniform next year. Now I do realize that if there were any team out there that would pull such a dumb move it would be Daniel Snyder. I just think that a lot of things would have to happen before this was complete. Also people have been talking about a huge signing bonus if we were to try and sign him, but lets not forget that the top ten pick that we are not going to get would require about the same bonus anyway...

ok.... Clements has publicly stated he wants to be a free agent, and he wants to test the market. If you are another team (specifically the redskins) why are you going to trade your #1 pick for a guy who your going to have for one year? It doesnt make sense. Now, the obvious solution would require Clements to sign and then trade, which we already know he doesnt want to do since he wants to test the market. If we get anything for Clements it wont be big, definitely not a first rounder, so my guess is that unless Clements changes his opinion he'll be in a Bill's uniform next year. Now I do realize that if there were any team out there that would pull such a dumb move it would be Daniel Snyder. I just think that a lot of things would have to happen before this was complete. Also people have been talking about a huge signing bonus if we were to try and sign him, but lets not forget that the top ten pick that we are not going to get would require about the same bonus anyway...

304374[/snapback]

Good first post - welcome aboard!

I can't imagine that, after trading Champ Baily and letting Fred Smoot go, that Washington is going to trade a 1st round pick for a CB that will cost them more than those two guys to keep beyond this year.

Snyder would be certifiably insane to make such a trade (I know, he's close now).

It makes for sense for Washington to move up a bit (probably won't cost as much as other years) and grab Jones or Rolle in the first round.

I can see Washington being interested in Henry, but not Clements.

304374[/snapback]

Your post makes too much sense. Please try a little less the next time. Its the american way. :D