Draft Pick Order question

Why is it that the spot teams pick in varies from round to round? I understand that it can get thrown off from comp picks but for example, why is our pick (that we traded to Dallas) #20 in the first round, but then #23 in the second rd.?

Does the order change among teams of the same record when a trade is involved? Like because Dallas' record was worse that 9-7, they get to pick before all the other 9-7 teams with our pick regardless of where we would have fallen in that group?

Why is it that the spot teams pick in varies from round to round? I understand that it can get thrown off from comp picks but for example, why is our pick (that we traded to Dallas) #20 in the first round, but then #23 in the second rd.?

Does the order change among teams of the same record when a trade is involved? Like because Dallas' record was worse that 9-7, they get to pick before all the other 9-7 teams with our pick regardless of where we would have fallen in that group?

295635[/snapback]

Wierd - I don't know. I looked at the first 5 in each round (before trades), and noticed the orders cycle - meaning the order in Round 5 is the same as in Round 1, Round 6 as in Round 2, etc. (I didn't look higher than five, so I might be wrong...)

Round 1: SF - Miami - Clev - Chi - TB -...

Round 2: SF - Clev - Miami - TB - Tenn -...

Round 3: SF - Miami - Clev - Tenn - Oak -...

Round 4: SF - Clev - Miami - Oak - Chi -...

Round 5: SF - Miami - Clev - Chi - TB -...

Round 6: SF - Clev - Miami - TB - Tenn -...

Round 7: SF - Miami - Clev - Tenn - Oak -...

295635[/snapback]

The more I look at it, the more I think you are right. After sorting the teams by record, and using tie breakers to sort the teams with the same records, they cycle through the order of tied teams.

So SF always picks first each round as the only 2-14 team.

Clev and Miami (4-12) pick #2/3, with Miami winning the tiebreaker so it gets #2 first.

The 5-11 teams from worst to least worst are Clev, Chi, TB and Tenn, so they pick in spots 3-6 as

Clev - Chi - TB - Tenn,

Chi - TB - Tenn - Clev,

TB - Tenn - Clev - Chi,

Tenn - Clev - Chi - TB,

and so on.

Teams that end the year with the same record rotate positions in the rounds so last year there were I think two other teams that had the same record that we did. so in Round 1 Team a picks followed by B followed by C. Next round B,then C ,then A. Third round C,then A then B and back again don't emember exactly how they pick the first order however.

Teams that end the year with the same record rotate positions in the rounds so last year there were I think two other teams that had the same record that we did. so in Round 1 Team a picks followed by B followed by C. Next round B,then C ,then A. Third round C,then A then B and back again don't emember exactly how they pick the first order however.

295656[/snapback]

Opponents winning percentage is the tie breaker, if teams finish with the same record, the team whose opponents winning percentage was the lowest get the higher pick. If by chance the percentage is a tie then a coin toss determines who gets the higher pick. Granted if a team makes the playoffs and has the same record as a non playoff team then the team not making the playoffs gets the higher pick as well.