5 up 5 down

This was an interesteing point but this guy must not have seen the way Drew Bledsoe played last year!!

BTW, I have no idea where the newspaper is that this dude writes for.

2. Buffalo - Forget that late-season playoff run, the Bills have taken a step back. Either cut-rate newcomer Kelly Holcomb or the inexperienced J.P. Losman will be taking the snaps in 2005, and will be operating behind a line that just lost left tackle Jonas Jennings. On the other side of the ball, the departure of key run-stuffer Pat Williams to the Vikings will undoubtedly be felt in a big way. Don't expect the Patriots, Jets, and improving Dolphins to be very forgiving to Buffalo's plight come the fall

5 up 5 down

we're not going to take a step back at NT?

287859[/snapback]

My guess is we take a step back because I think Adams/Williams 04 is likely a better run stuffing combo than Adams/Edwards, Adams/Bannan, or Adams/Anderson, but I doubt this will be the "big" step back the writer predicts cause:

1. Williams apparently was a player on the field for 58% of the Bills D snaps. Thus on almost half the plays the Bills had somebody else in there who played well enough for the Bills to rank so high statistically in D. Granted, the downs Phat Par was in there were often 1st down or 2ns and long after he an Adams helped stone the opponents on first down, but this stat indicates both that the Bills had other combos they were comfortable in playing and that even if they are not as effective at runstopping without PW, its another crew we will rely upon to stop the opponent if the gain a yard or two extra on first.

2. Gray is well aware of the change that has happened and has the flexibility (particularly with 10 of 11 starters back) to alter the D a bit to make up for the loss of PW,

3. I've been down on Edwards during his career, but his improved performance as a sub last year was real. He has put on some bulk but seems to have even improved his ability to make moves.

I think he could be another Sean Moran (superb as a sub, but when he paces himself to last as a starter his play goes way down), but he is hitting his prime and it is also possible that he has finally become the player TD envisioned when he was picked.

4. Anderson did not show anything last year for anyone to reasonably assume he is even very good, but he remains an unknown quantity who certainly does not justify confidence that he will be a starter, but the high regard he got in the draft also does not justify dismissing the possibility that he will make himself noticed this year.

I think the loss of PW is a loss, but not defintiely or not even likely a big one.

I suspect opposing team's DCs have taken notice of Evans. Moulds remains a threat, so I envision at least a double-team-and-a-half, so to speak, with a safety bouncing in between run and pass defense, worrying about McGahee's running. I just hope the Bills' coaching will change the general offensive plan to get the backs and the TE into the passing game. Now, JP is going to have difficulty picking up receivers in the first place and his inexperience will likely make him focus of the receiver called in the huddle (you can't put an old head on young shoulders) , but I'd like the Bills to get a sure-handed get-open curl-back TE in the draft. BC's Kashetta comes to mind. Reports say he's a fair blocker - and I sure realize with the state of the line talent, superior blocking acumen is needed, but I'm hoping that a halfway decent short pass game will relieve pressure on the run and longer pass games. I think a lot will depend on play selection by the coaches next year.

Everything he said is correct.

287864[/snapback]

Never said it wasnt correct, In fact the reason I posted the article was because it srtuck some good points.

I dont think losing Jennings will cost us that dearly. If JP is a mobiel as he is supposed to be, then the LT position wont hurt us badly, but we still need to sign someone to fill that void, or use the draft to pick that someone up.

Losman/Holcomb will turn out much better than Bledsoe. we know what we had in drew and there was no way we were going any further with him than without him.

PW will affect us slightly, but I trust Gray's ability to work around the loss of just one starter with the other 10 returning.

Never said it wasnt correct, In fact the reason I posted the article was because it srtuck some good points. 

I dont think losing Jennings will cost us that dearly.  If JP is a mobiel as he is supposed to be, then the LT position wont hurt us badly, but we still need to sign someone to fill that void, or use the draft to pick that someone up.

Losman/Holcomb will turn out much better than Bledsoe.  we know what we had in drew and there was no way we were going any further with him than without him.

PW will affect us slightly, but I trust Gray's ability to work around the loss of just one starter with the other 10 returning.

287918[/snapback]

Because of the division cincy is in, I see a lot of Browns football and so have seen a lot of Holcomb. If JP falters - which he probably will - a rookie that hasn't the ability to see the whole field yet etc. - Holcomb will play, unless management adopts a sink-or swim philosophy.

And he's pretty good. Not a powerhouse arm, but that doesn't mean so much these days. He can get it out there adequetly. Reads defenses well, moves around enough to buy the vital second or two, and doesn't commit many big gaffs. He's an accurate passer with good completion percentages and knows when to dump the ball to avoid a sack.

And he certainly performed with an offensive line and run game weaker than Buffalo's.

For those who bemoan the Bills' "lack" of FA signings, well, Holcomb was a big one...