About TD and our discussions about his tenure

jahnyc

Reviewing TD's tenure, I think there has been good (trading Peerless for a first round pick, drafting McGahee, signing Spikes) and bad (not making the playoffs for four years, hiring Williams and trading a first round pick for Bledsoe).

I am not suggesting that TD should be fired, but in light of the above, I think the best we can say is that the results thus far have been a mixed bag. Not making the playoffs is the biggest issue with me. I believe that this is one of the most objective standards you can use to judge TD's tenure as gm.

There are a few things that have been bothering me during the course of the Boards' discussions about TD:

1. Posters are attacked for perceived anti-TD statements. I don't understand this since I think you can make a case for and against the efforts of TD to date.

2. That TD is not overspending and hurting our cap situation for coming years. In the fifth year of TD's tenure we appear to be right up against the cap. We did not have the ability to re-sign Williams or Jennings or any significant free agents. TD has paid at least market for many players including Spikes, Milloy and Moulds. The contract with M. Williams is a disaster. It is disingenous to assume that somehow TD is not overpaying this year or is being smarter than other gms when the reality is that we don't have the flexibility or ability to sign expensive free agents.

3. Posters assuming the o-line will be fine with the players we have currently and the coaching of McNally. The o-line is a legitimate concern. I believe that we have many strengths, but I am very worried about Teague, M. Williams or Peters at LT. Who will play LG? Why should we expect Peters or Bannon to be starting caliber?

2.  That TD is not overspending and hurting our cap situation for coming years.  In the fifth year of TD's tenure we appear to be right up against the cap.  We did not have the ability to re-sign Williams or Jennings or any significant free agents.  TD has paid at least market for many players including Spikes, Milloy and Moulds.  The contract with M. Williams is a disaster.  It is disingenous to assume that somehow TD is not overpaying this year or is being smarter than other gms when the reality is that we don't have the flexibility or ability to sign expensive free agents.

277568[/snapback]

TD just refuted this the other day. He said that there is NO player that is out of reach because of our cap situation. Straight from the horse's mouth.

Its def a mixed bag, everything cancels each other out EXCEPT for the big one..NO PLAYOFFS. the road is not over for TD yet, he was very close last year..But close doesn't cut it..I believe that the MM coaching change was a good one..Drafting Mcgahee was pure geneous, and digging this team out of salary cap hell was good as well..But when push comes to shove, its all about championships, and you need to get into the playoffs to even say the word championship..and TD has yet to lead us there yet.