Despite hefty contract, Bills’ Lotulelei is OK with not being a star - BNews

elroy16

2 hours ago, berg1029 said:

Honestly, I think they have been that bad at stopping the run.  Basically since Dick Jauron took over in the early 2000s, we have been pretty darn bad at stopping the run. Every season, it feels like there are one or two games where the other team literally doesn't pass the ball and literally just runs it down our throats (think Saints game or second patriots game from last year, the games vs. the dolphins in years past with Jay Ajayi, etc.)

IMO, the Bill's pass defense was good because we have a had a good secondary for a long time.  We've been blessed with really good defensive backs, think about all the good ones that we've had over the past 10 or so years. 

You mean late 2000s, but yeah, run D really only had 1 "good" year since, in 2014. Aside from very good coaching on defense, that team had a ton of talent, especially on the defensive line. But they also had a "respectable" offense, which helped to keep the defense off the field as much. 

I just remember several games from the Jauron years where the run defense was actually respectable during the first half of games, but the offense was doing very little. Games were still pretty close at the half, but by the time the second half rolled around, the defense was gassed, and guys like Pierre Thomas would run roughshod on the Bills in the 3rd and 4th quarter and put the game out of reach. 

The Gailey defenses, though, were just bad, especially under George Edwards. I have "fond" memories of Spencer Johnson at OLB...

As far as pass D and DBs goes, there's been some talent over the years, but I still believe that, in many of the Bills' better total passing yards rankings, it had a lot to do with teams abandoning the pass later in games. 

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Like (+1) 1