Pair of Free Agents Visit Buffalo

Pair of Free Agents Visit Buffalo

Gregg Pastore, buffalobills.com

03/10/2005 5:15 PM

Tight end Marcellus Rivers and lineman Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack were in for a visit with the Bills on Thursday.

Rivers, 6-4, 250 pounds, has spent the last four seasons with the NY Giants, where he has accumulated 27 catches for 227 yards and four touchdowns. He joined the Giants as a rookie free agent in 2001 and made the team after a strong training camp in which he displayed his strong work ethic and receiving ability. Despite missing the final four games of the 2003 season with a knee injury that occurred in a game against Buffalo, Rivers posted career-high totals of 17 receptions for 155 yards while recording 12 tackles on special teams.

Womack, 6-4, 333 pounds, is a four-year veteran and off-and-on starter at both tackle positions for the Seattle Seahawks. Originally drafted in the fourth round of the 2001 NFL draft, Womack has started 22 career regular-season games, 20 of which have been at right tackle and two at left tackle. His lone start at right guard came against the Green Bay Packers in a wild-card playoff game during the 2003 season.

Both players were encouraged with what they saw and heard during their visit.

"I like coach (Mike) Mularkey," said Rivers. "He's an ex-tight end and he coached tight ends. He knows what a tight ends job is and what a tight end is supposed to do. Just sitting down talking to him, he thinks high of tight ends so if you're going to come here to be a tight end you're definitely going to have to work hard and do the things he sees in his eyes that you should be doing."

"I sat down with coach Mularkey and coach (Jim) McNally to go over some plays and some technique and I think I could fit in pretty good here," added Womack. "Just looking at the team, they have very good chemistry here and I want to be a part of it."

Rivers said he remembers Buffalo's four straight AFC Championships from his childhood days, although he admits he was a Cowboys fan during that time.

The current Bills are appealing to him because of the common double-tight ends sets the team employs and that may factor into his decision making process.

"It weighs in as a big factor because coming from New York and being up there with Jeremy (Shockey) and those guys we ran a lot of two tight end sets," he said. "But I also want to get onto the field and do what I want to do as far as special teams are concerned."

Rivers spoke highly of the Bills special teams unit of 2004, saying he wants to be part of a special teams unit that ranks near the top.

During the 2002 season, Rivers set a Giants record with 25 special teams tackles. He also blocked an Indianapolis Colts punt during a December game that season.

"Being a big special teams guy and looking at the stats, I always see the Buffalo Bills at the top of things and I thought that's what I want my special teams unit to be, at the top," said Rivers.

Womack is also an attractive free agent because of his versatility to play nearly anywhere on the offensive line.

"I just try to be versatile and help the team where I can," he said.

Womack said the Bills coaching staff didn't specify what position they were interested in having him play if he were to join the team but instead they spoke to him in general about the line and tried to get a feel where he would be comfortable.

"I've played more tackle but I'd be comfortable at guard if they put me there," said Womack, who was named Pork Chop by his mother who thought he resembled Pork Chop Cash, a local pro wrestler, when he was a baby.

While at Mississippi State where he played with current Bills linebacker Mario Haggan, Womack anchored the left tackle position for the Bulldogs, starting 29 consecutive games dating back to his sophomore season.

When asked about his timetable to find a team for 2005, Womack replied, "as soon as possible so that I can start to get to know the team and get around the rest of the players so that we can get started."

Rivers had a similar outlook, admitting that if the Bills were to give him a fair offer he would consider it without visiting other NFL cities.

"I did like my visit enough today to think that way," Rivers said. "I have to sit down with my agent and talk it over and see what is best for us."

Read the threads before posting! Been reported hours ago.

270263[/snapback]

Hate to break up his nightly ritual, but.....no doubt. Not only should Superhero take 10 seconds to read the threads that have been hot topics ALL DAY LONG, but also check out the front page.

Here's the link in case it's been forgotten.

http://www.twobillsdrive.com/

Thank you.