jonas' deal

nodnarb

We probably could not have done that last summer and still signed Schobel. Remember, he is a FA from this year that the Bills decided they better lock up before he hits the market, which of course would be now. All along we were hoping to sign one, and perhaps two, but very unlikely all three of them. I don't think we could have taken the cap hit for both of those signings, and then Schobel would have been on the loose now and getting way higher offers than we signed him for. It's arguable that we should have locked up Jonas and not Schobel last year but we couldnt have done both. I still think I would rather have Schobel for what we got him for than JJ at 9 mil and 31.5 total.

260939[/snapback]

it wouldn't have been difficult to sign both last off-season.........moulds carried a very large cap hit and could have been reworked........other contracts could have been altered as well (for example, an extension for big pat would have reduced his number last year)........

regardless, it is TD's cap and if he doesn't have funds available to keep his best young players off the market at reasonable rates it's because he decided not to allocate resources to that area.........

We probably could not have done that last summer and still signed Schobel. Remember, he is a FA from this year that the Bills decided they better lock up before he hits the market, which of course would be now. All along we were hoping to sign one, and perhaps two, but very unlikely all three of them. I don't think we could have taken the cap hit for both of those signings, and then Schobel would have been on the loose now and getting way higher offers than we signed him for. It's arguable that we should have locked up Jonas and not Schobel last year but we couldnt have done both. I still think I would rather have Schobel for what we got him for than JJ at 9 mil and 31.5 total.

260939[/snapback]

Also, JJ's performance in 2003 was not very good at all...

Based on his play that year, there's no way that TD could justify giving him a big raise before the 2004 season.

Also, JJ's performance in 2003 was not very good at all...

Based on his play that year, there's no way that TD could justify giving him a big raise before the 2004 season.

261003[/snapback]

the excuses never stop for TD.........if you don't think jonas is worth the money, fine.........if you don't think we should pay any LT that much money, fine.........but it's a GM's job to predict future performance........that is what a contract is for, not for what happened in the past........if TD couldn't see that a young player was going to improve, then he's not much of a GM........lack of foresight is not an excuse in the NFL.......but hey, spin any way you like.......i knew i expected jonas to continue to improve in '04, and stated that well in advance of the season........and in regards to his '05 season, i think he'll show more improvement.......

knew i expected jonas to continue to improve in '04, and stated that well in advance of the season........and in regards to his '05 season, i think he'll show more improvement.......

261024[/snapback]

Being that it was a contract year, I also expected him to improve in 2004...

After 2003, there was no place to go but up. :(

But, now that he's got the $$$, I don't see any further improvement from JJ.

I see plenty of trips to the IR list.