The Yankees struggling ticket sales/corporate suites sales

Full disclosure: big time Mets fan, big time Yankee hater. I love a summer baseball game. Early spring and late fall? Not so much.

Ticket prices are one element, but there is no longer anything special about attending a Yankees game. This is a big part of the trouble at the gate. People will pay a steep price to be part of something special. Court side seats at the Lakers were always the biggest status symbol in sports. Seats behind home plate at Yankee Stadium weren't far behind. The Yankees and the sport of baseball no longer occupy such a prime spot in American culture. People will pay the price if they believe it's worth it. Have blue collar fans been priced out of the best seats at the new Yankee Stadium? Absolutely. This isn't different from other teams and concert events.

Great post.

The latest Yankees stadium was built on the heels of an all-time great team that was aging. There was an expectation of greatness that was met year-in and year-out and tickets/concessions for the new stadium/cathedral were priced at the championship level.

And then reality caught up and more recently the team hasn't been able to live up to the arrogant mentality that anything but a World Series ring is a bad year.

The corporate/celebrity fan lost interest, the blue collar fan was priced out.

It'll be interesting to see how the next few years play out. The young talent level is extraordinary...can't believe they turned it around as quickly as they did. Much as it pains me I think there is something special happening...just no guarantee of a championship.