Replacing our free agents has been a

jahnyc

My overall point is that it is not always easy to find effective replacements for departing free agents. I think with the possibility of Jennings, Price and Williams leaving, we need to focus on upgrading rather than merely filling these positions.

Recently, we have lost to free agency or cut P. Price, A. Winfield and R. Brown. I think losing Price hurt more than any of us anticipated and resulted in the Bills using a second round draft choice (Reed) and a first round pick (Evans) to replace him. Yes, he was asking for too much money and he wanted to go to Atlanta (and we did get a Atlanta's first round selection), but losing him hurt the offense nonetheless.

I think we were lucky that McGee was able to step-up after Vincent got hurt. Otherwise, TD's lower cost (and older) replacement did not work out particularly well. Now we are likely to move Vincent to saftey, which is probably not cost effective in terms of what he is being paid (as a starting cb).

While R. Brown was at the end of his career, TD took a significant risk going with Pucillo and then Smith at LG. It Tucker may have stabilizied the position, but it seemed kind of stupid to me to go into the season with that kind of hole at LG.

In terms of our current free agents, I don't have a problem with Jennings leaving via free agency. Unfortunately, there do not appear to be decent LTs available in free agency. We need to upgrade this position. I hope the answer is not Teague, Williams or a draft choice.

I hope we resign Williams and Price. Individually and as a group, Anderson, Bannon and Edwards scare me. I hope TD realizes that the defense could taka a big step backwards without Williams in the middle or an adequate replacement.