Shelton deal NOT immenent, Wahle could be a LT!

JP-era

Get a pick from Travis and skip Shelton. Grab Mike Wahle instead, at G he is a stud and GM's are thinking he would make a better LT prospect than Jennings

http://www.ffmastermind.com/quickbits.php

I like this move better. Id sign Wahle and then draft a David Baas type who can play G or C, this adds the versatility to let McNally figure out who is best where and fill sour LT need with aguy who may be a better prospect than Jennings, something Shelton is NOT IMO.

So, Sign Wahle. He can play either LG or LT.

Get a draft pick for Travis and draft David Baas who will start day one at LG or C and then Wahle can move to LT or stay at LG and move Teague to LT.

Lots of options and we add the best available o-lineman in FA and one of the best o-lineman from the draft with LOTS of versatility as to where they play.

Get a pick from Travis and skip Shelton. Grab Mike Wahle instead, at G he is a stud and GM's are thinking he would make a better LT prospect than Jennings

http://www.ffmastermind.com/quickbits.php

I like this move better. Id sign Wahle and then draft a David Baas type who can play G or C, this adds the versatility to let McNally figure out who is best where and fill sour LT need with aguy who may be a better prospect than Jennings, something Shelton is NOT IMO.

So, Sign Wahle. He can play either LG or LT.

Get a draft pick for Travis and draft David Baas who will start day one at LG or C and then Wahle can move to LT or stay at LG and move Teague to LT.

Lots of options and we add the best available o-lineman in FA and one of the best o-lineman from the draft with LOTS of versatility as to where they play.

253412[/snapback]

It's a post I haven't seen yet---good job JP :w00t:

Yeah...that's how it was intended. :w00t:

253454[/snapback]

Well the market watch for Jennings was "supposed" to be Miami or Atlanta

read this from further down that page

Carey Could Move to OLT --

Fri Feb 25, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

The Palm Beach Post reports the Miami Dolphins believe that ORG/ORT Vernon Carey, last year's first-round pick, could be capable of making the switch to the left side.

Seems like Miami is willing to give their LT job to a RG. What does that tell you about Jennings "real" value.

Well the market watch for Jennings was "supposed" to be Miami or Atlanta

read this from further down that page

Seems like Miami is willing to give their LT job to a RG.  What does that tell you about Jennings "real" value.

253462[/snapback]

It tells me that it is too high for Miami. Miami is in the process of trying to restructure or cut something like 8 starters right now. They have too much money wrapped up in average talent, and the new coach wants to start over. Jennings is going to cost too much for a team who is over the cap and need a lot of help.

Just because he starts on another team with an average line at guard won't make him a good LT for us. Shelton is still the best deal you will get for TH. A third round draft choice is like flipping a coin whether the guy will play let alone make the team and contribute anything more than as a special teamer.

Actually, my hope was for both. Trade Henry for Shelton and sign Wahle to play LG. A LG who can pass block and pull on runs would be great.

With those two pickups the Oline would be set, and the focus can be placed elsewhere in the draft.

Actually, my hope was for both.  Trade Henry for Shelton and sign Wahle to play LG.  A LG who can pass block and pull on runs would be great.

With those two pickups the Oline would be set, and the focus can be placed elsewhere in the draft.

253519[/snapback]

And I do agree with that 100%.

Actually, my hope was for both.  Trade Henry for Shelton and sign Wahle to play LG.  A LG who can pass block and pull on runs would be great.

253519[/snapback]

Well, I havent looked at this angle.

Truth be known, im not opposed to that. My hang up is in taking a risk on Shelton, who appears to be a risk based on overweight issue and demotion, at LT. We need an UPGRADE to Jennings at LT with a young QB at the helm. Its too important of a position to take a risk. Could Shelton turn out to be a pro-bowler, sure. Could e turn out to be a liability, sure. I guess Id just prefer to have someone who is more solid at the LT spot. Its not a sure thing that the Bills intend to play Shelton at LT either, several people have commented that Shelton should move inside to G, maybe they have that in mind. I dont think thats the case, but who knows, we will have to see.

Now, if Wahle can truly play LT or LG, and Shelton can play T or be moved to G, I see no problem in adding both. We again add to versatility and can let McNally sort out where they fit best. Is it Wahle at LT, Shelton at LG or vice versa. Is it Mike Williams at LT, Wahle at LG and Shelton at RT (my favorite), who knows.

I dont mind this option. What I am concerned with is getting Shelton and a G who can only play G and then forcing Shelton to play LT with no backup option if he fails.

Well Wahle's asking price just shot=up about $2M more, since he and his agent will surely use the "can move to LT" stuff to their advantage.  Forget him now.

253730[/snapback]

So, because he can play LT and is already an outstanding G we should now discard him because he is expecting some more money? That doesnt make sense to me.

Anyways, TD has always done a great job of getting the guys he wants at a very decent price and to be honest, the so called capologists that claim we cant or shouldnt afford ____ player tend to be full of it, if TD wants them, TD gets them and signs them to a reasonable contract. I think the same can apply to Wahle and Id love to have him.

So, because he can play LT and is already an outstanding G we should now discard him because he is expecting some more money? That doesnt make sense to me.

Anyways, TD has always done a great job of getting the guys he wants at a very decent price and to be honest, the so called capologists that claim we cant or shouldnt afford ____ player tend to be full of it, if TD wants them, TD gets them and signs them to a reasonable contract. I think the same can apply to Wahle and Id love to have him.

253746[/snapback]

For HOW much? And just because some people think he PROJECTS to LT, doesn't mean he can PLAY LT.

For HOW much?  And just because some people think he PROJECTS to LT, doesn't mean he can PLAY LT.

253749[/snapback]

Dude, agreed its not proven that he can play LT only speculated. And I wont comment on how much, I think we all are virtually clueless on this. I would throw out a figure and you would say no way, my point is that TD manages to get the guys he wants and then everyone seems happy with the contracts. So, its pointless to debate contract terms if we all end up fairly happy with what he does.

But fine, I would grab Wahle for 3 mill per + a signing bonus totaling a cap hit of say 3.5 in 2005 which escalates and has incentives if he starts at LT. 3 Mill for a stud G is better than average pay, 3.5 mill that baloons to say 5 mill per if he starts at LT is fairly cheap in my mind if he plays like a top 10 LT.

Dude, agreed its not proven that he can play LT only speculated. And I wont comment on how much, I think we all are virtually clueless on this. I would throw out a figure and you would say no way, my point is that TD manages to get the guys he wants and then everyone seems happy with the contracts. So, its pointless to debate contract terms if we all end up fairly happy with what he does.

But fine, I would grab Wahle for 3 mill per + a signing bonus totaling a cap hit of say 3.5  in 2005 which escalates and has incentives if he starts at LT. 3 Mill for a stud G is better than average pay, 3.5 mill that baloons to say 5 mill per if he starts at LT is fairly cheap in my mind if he plays like a top 10 LT.

I could live with those numbers. But I think you add $2M to each level (i.e. $5.5M to play OG and $7M to play LT). I guess we'll see when he signs with someone.

But fine, I would grab Wahle for 3 mill per + a signing bonus totaling a cap hit of say 3.5  in 2005 which escalates and has incentives if he starts at LT. 3 Mill for a stud G is better than average pay, 3.5 mill that baloons to say 5 mill per if he starts at LT is fairly cheap in my mind if he plays like a top 10 LT.

253760[/snapback]

I'd prefer shelton at 3 mil for each of the next 3 seasons. Shelton can play and will be just fine once he is out of Az and onto a winning team. Mcnally will be able to get this guy back to his potential. Signing a FA tackle is just too expensive. We already have 9 mil tied up in our other tackle.

I really don't know a lot about Shelton. Absent the trade talk, would he even be a consideration? However, I did live in Seattle, in the late 80's when his dad played center for the Sonics, and it seems to me that a lot of what Dennis Green has to say about our prospect, is an echo of the past. If you believe the adage that the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree, maybe the Bills better shop around a little more! :D

I really don't know a lot about Shelton.  Absent the trade talk, would he even be a consideration?                                                                                                        However, I did live in Seattle, in the late 80's when his dad played center for the Sonics, and it seems to me that a lot of what Dennis Green has to say about our prospect, is an echo of the past.  If you believe the adage that the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree, maybe the Bills better shop around a little more! :D

253983[/snapback]

Yeah, didnt we already get ournose broke by grabbing another teams cast off in Drew? do we want to repeat this?