can we tag jennings & pay 120%

Charlie68

I saw this in the Ben Maller thread below

The Patriots franchise kicker is on the verge of receiving the franchise tag. Unless Adam Vinatieri and the Patriots come to terms on a multi-year deal, which as of last night did not appear imminent, the Pats are expected to lock up the rights to the three-time Pro Bowler by franchising him by today's 4 p.m. deadline. To secure the tag, the Pats must give Vinatieri a one-year contract worth 120 percent of his 2004 value, which was $2.09 million by franchise calculations. That puts the cost of Vinatieri's tag at roughly $2.5 million. The Pats are expected to designate Vinatieri, 32, as a ``non-exclusive'' franchise player, which means they have the right to match any offer he receives as a free agent. Such an offer would be unlikely since the Pats would be due two first-round picks as compensation if they declined to match.

I dont know all the franchise tag rules - could we do this with Jonas Jennings? i.e. give him a tender of 120% of his pay as a "non-exclusive", and get 2 number ones if Bills dont match an offer?

What am I missing

uh-uh

nice try

but Adam's "deal" is 120% becasue his salary last year was MORE THAN (!) the average of the top five kickers in the league. Thus, if he were paid at the top five average asthe franchised player his salary would actually GO DOWN

To compensate for this very rare occurrence, the NFLPA and the owners put into the contract the guarantee of top five average or 120% of the previous year whichever is higher

If we tag Jennings, it will be $7.424 million

248567[/snapback]

What are the rules for rescinding the frachise offer. i know the Bills can do this by some deadline if they receive no offers they like, but i am too lazy to look in the CBA to make sure that JJ could not simply acceot the $7.4 offer as I suspect the market will certainly offer him less than this $6 million max and quite potentially the market may be so small compared to demand because most teams have already signed long term big deals with marginal talents such as Clifton and Petitgout or lack the cap room like AT to make an offer.

I would not be shocked to see JJ command a bigger paycheck than he has ever seen but to have that paycheck onl amount to a $3 million cap hit

Who knows, it is dicey and it only takes on offer for him to get the contract he wants.

At any rate, does he have the ability to accept the tender if we offer it and hold us to it much to outr dismay. Even if not I doubt we even offer because this removes is from the immediate market.