Here's an interesting LG option....

Mike32282

Mike Wahle

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_19888136.shtml

But Thompson and coach Mike Sherman have several other crucial decisions as well, starting with left guard Mike Wahle.

To get under the cap on March 2, the Packers will cut Wahle, who’s due a prohibitive $6 million roster bonus and $5 million salary. They can wait until as late as March 1 to make the move, and might do so to keep other teams from negotiating with him until then.

Wahle, 28, is one of the NFL’s premier guards and in the prime of his career. The Packers would love to have him back, because his ability to hit targets as a pulling guard is one of the keys to their run game.

wahle would be a fantastic sign......big upgrade at LG and also an upgrade for our depth, as tucker can compete with teague in camp for the C spot and the loser backs up at both guard positions and center..........i would love to see the bills jump on him early in free agency, but if it doesn't work out, there are no shortage of guard options available.........there is no excuse for TD not to land a new starer at this position..........

wahle would be a fantastic sign......big upgrade at LG and also an upgrade for our depth, as tucker can compete with teague in camp for the C spot and the loser backs up at both guard positions and center..........i would love to see the bills jump on him early in free agency, but if it doesn't work out, there are no shortage of guard options available.........there is no excuse for TD not to land a new starer at this position..........

246602[/snapback]

This would be an awesome way to start FA. :doh:

Based on what I hear regarding the MW cap hit in 2005 (either $6+ million according to NFLPA.com or $9+ million according to Billszone) if the Bills resign Jj for anywhere near the market rate for fairly pedestrian OL talent (about $5+ million) the Bills will be unable to acquire new LG players and resign Jennings. Several things will need to happen to make this possible such as a combination of restructuring MW to lower his cap hit and/or signing Shelton as a tackle for a $3 million cap hit.

You tell me what it is because I do not know.

Based on what I hear regarding the MW cap hit in 2005 (either $6+ million according to NFLPA.com or $9+ million according to Billszone) if the Bills resign Jj for anywhere near the market rate for fairly pedestrian OL talent (about $5+ million) the Bills will be unable to acquire new LG players and resign Jennings.  Several things will need to happen to make this possible such as a combination of restructuring MW to lower his cap hit and/or signing Shelton as a tackle for a $3 million cap hit.

You tell me what it is because I do not know.

246617[/snapback]

That is why I'd rather see us trade for Shelton to replace Jennings and then sign a FA upgrade at Guard (a guy like Wahle, or his teammate Rivera would be great). Then look for even more depth in the Draft. Honestly, I only see the Bills getting a starting guard, backup RB and backup QB in free agency. Maybe a kicker too.

we can afford to resign jennings and big pat as well as sign a top end guard, solid tight end, and good backup QB........lesser needs (such as CB and RB) can be addressed in the draft..........

will wiliams have to restructure/extend to make this happen? of course.......if his cap his is 9M, that number will be reduced by 4-5M..........cutting prioleou will create another 1M plus.........trading henry will create another 1M plus........that is plenty of room to accomplish the goals from above........

TD got us in this mess with williams, and he better find a way out of it........we need an upgrade at guard and playoff caliber teams find ways to make that happen........non-playoff teams try to get by with crap (see the bills of '04) and don't spend the bucks to upgrade a defanite need..

we can afford to resign jennings and big pat as well as sign a top end guard, solid tight end, and good backup QB........lesser needs (such as CB and RB) can be addressed in the draft..........

246647[/snapback]

Yeah, if you ignore the salary cap.

With 8 Million under the cap?

No, we can't.

I think our best option is to let Williams walk, while trading for Shelton of the Cardinals, and signing a top Guard in free agency.

I like what I saw from Edwards last year, lets give him his shot.

246655[/snapback]

What we are "under the cap" is debatable. I've heard everything from 14 million dollars under to 8 million under. Usuaully ESPN releases what every team is under at the beginning of free agency, and that is the most accurate. Until then, who really knows? As much as I dig clumpy, he doesnt have all of the information that is available...I'll wait to see what comes out from the news agencies.

With 8 Million under the cap?

No, we can't.

I think our best option is to let Williams walk, while trading for Shelton of the Cardinals, and signing a top Guard in free agency.

I like what I saw from Edwards last year, lets give him his shot.

246655[/snapback]

did you guys read the rest of my post??

we can afford to do it WHEN WILLIAMS GETS HIS CAP NUMBER DOWN.........

and a good GM makes sure that cap number gets down and gives himself enough room to get what we need.........

if our GM can't do it, he isn't doing his job..........

8M + williams restructure/extension + prioleau release + henry trade = more then enough room.......

try to keep up boys.........

did you guys read the rest of my post??

we can afford to do it WHEN WILLIAMS GETS HIS CAP NUMBER DOWN.........

and a good GM makes sure that cap number gets down and gives himself enough room to get what we need.........

if our GM can't do it, he isn't doing his job..........

8M + williams restructure/extension + prioleau release + henry trade = more then enough room.......

try to keep up boys.........

246666[/snapback]

Hey, I'm all for cutting MW's salary, he's grossly overpaid IMO. However, if he refuses to restructure and forces you to cut him, then what? Finding a replacement for JJ is a tall enough task, but if you've got to fill the RT spot also, JP--and the Bills--are in for a world of trouble.

Hey, I'm all for cutting MW's salary, he's grossly overpaid IMO.  However, if he refuses to restructure and forces you to cut him, then what?  Finding a replacement for JJ is a tall enough task, but if you've got to fill the RT spot also, JP--and the Bills--are in for a world of trouble.

246678[/snapback]

then i blame the GM -- he is the one who backloaded the contract and made the bonus two tiered..........if he can't get him to get that number down, he deserves all the blame because he is the one who gave williams all this leverage...........