Draft Review

1. Shaq Lawson- One of if not the best edge run setter in the draft at DE/OLB. Plants and anchors in, doesn't give ground. Has enough athleticism to play 4-3 DE. 3-4 OLB, even 3-4 DE in isolated circumstances. Not fast off the edge or developed in pass rushing moves. Sort of the anti Von Miller. Could play 4-3 DE with minimal transition. Can collapse a pocket with a good bull rush, will occasionally show an effective spin move, struggles to separate against the OT once driven back. Will need to develop this at the next level. Shaq is an NFL ready man that has positional flexibility and provides a lot of value on first down and short yardage situations. He would transition fluidly to a 4-3 scheme if we ever transition away from Rex while still fitting the mold of the larger more multiple OLB's Rex seems to prefer (Calvin Pace). He will need to develop his pass rushing skills if he's to develop into an upper level OLB or DE in the future.

Hard not to see his value. I said the anti Von Miller, that's what I prefer in my 3-4 OLB, but that type of player wouldn't fit anywhere in a 4-3. In Shaq we get a guy that is elite in the run game, could develop his pass rush, but fit's both defensive systems. I would say that's a win for us. Shoulder injury might have dropped him a bit, but that doesn't seem like it will be an issue.

2. Reggie Ragland- Natural football player. Great size and strength. Very good instincts. Some question his speed. Ragland makes up for any deficiencies with instincts and he's not slow for a guy his size. Massive, physical MLB, who even played some DT in pass situations at Alabama. Size allows him to be multiple even if it's for just a couple plays. Very Large and strong players who run as fast as Ragland can be multiple. Buffalo's defense is designed for MLB's to do the dirty work so I expect Ragland will lead the team in tackles this year. Might never be an perfect Dime or Nickle LB but not a liability either. Ragland is a great fit for Rex and once again can play MLB in 4-3 or a 3-4, so safe pick for any coach or system. Diagnosed with enlarged Aorta which caused him to slip down draft boards. Is not expected to have further complications.

3. Adolphus Washington- Incredible hands. You can't lift your hands without them getting an instantaneous slap. Big player but seems more finesses vs power at this point. Incredible pass rushing moves. Washingon has great balance for a man his size and will create moments leaving the OL grabbing at nothing. He has multiple move progressions, combining 3 to 4 moves in one rush. This isn't the type of technique you typically see from a college player. Has potential to provide immediate impact in all pass rushing situations. Ability to anchor needs to improve. Would be a liability against the run at NT, but not so much at DE. Likely a better fit long term as 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. I don't see him starting year one as he needs to find balance between run and pass, but we will see him in just about all pass rushing downs. In that situation he can play anywhere on the line. This will be a third straight pick that is capable of playing in either scheme and multiple positions.

4.Cardale Jones- One of, if not the most physically gifted QB;s in the draft. Large QB that has a rocket and can make any throw on the field. Has ability to absorb hits with his large frame. Can run but not a running QB. Jones skill set and body type is meant for a natural pocket passer but Jones is capable of running either in improvisation or pre-designed plays if asked to do so. Jones needs to improve accuracy and RZ touch. He can display great touch at times but the next minute throw a rocket into the end zone from five yards out. Development, reading, timing, that will decide things, but that's what decides all QB's. Having Jones skills to start out with aren't a luxury many people have and something rarely seen in the 4th round.

5. Jonathan Williams- Williams was the work horse running back for the most run lopsided team in the SEC and he did a very good job at it. As NFL tested as any player in the draft. Williams is an all around back. He can catch, block, run, power, speed, not breakaway or corner turning, but he will bust the seam if an opening shows up. Good power, usually falls forward. Tries to get the corner at times when he shouldn't and won't be able to at the NFL level, but also doesn't have any issue staying between the tackles. This can be coached. Would have been one of the better backs in the class if he didn't get injured. Will see reps in 2016 and with K. Williams concussion issues, could see Williams rise to the primary #2/spot starter very quickly. Sustained season ending injury which hurt value but is expected to make a full recovery.

6. Kolby Listenbee- Agree with OBD, not a track star. Listenbee runs over the middle. He fights for the ball in the air. He finds the ball and tracks it. Doesn't use his hands that well catching the ball, more of a body catcher. Some injury concerns. Nothing lingering, but frame and size have question marks to if he can hold up. His speed is lethal, very few people will press him. Who is our #3 again? I would say this could be him. Listenbee could see serous playing time. At the least he provides a great deep threat opposite Watkins. We can only hope to have either Listenbee or Goodwin healthy each week. If we go 3 wide, Sammy/Goodwin/Listenbee, we might have the fastest 3 WR's on the field at one time in NFL history. Bold statement, but those are 3 players that can flirt with a 10 second 100.

7. Kevon Seymour- Highly recruited player, blazing speed, had some injury issues but seems to have recovered. Rex said something to the effect of if you're going to draft a guy in the 7th round he might as well be really fast. I don't disagree with that thought process.

What's interesting in this draft is the similarities. All 3 of our top defensive picks are multiple position players and all 3 are not 3-4 specific. You also have as many as 5 players that might have had injuries lower draft status but appear healthy now. I like the diversity as one of my fears was getting pigeon holed into a 3-4 by a high draft pick in case we ever showed Rex the door. That didn't happen. In fact we managed the coup in the form of grabbing 3 players that are great fits for Rex, a 4-3, and are all talented. 5 players could start games for us next year. Barring setbacks, I expect Shaq, Reggie, and potentially Listenbee to start. Then we will see a lot of time from Washington and Williams with a potential spot start.

Edited by KzooMike