Are there any rumors going around

This likely would make no sense as neither of our top FAs (JJ or Phat Pat) are anywhere near the top 5 in average salary that a franchise tag would mandate (or even top 10 which the transition tag would mandate if we had one). If we tagged them it would clearly be part of a strategy to trade or release them.

PP was not one of the top 5 WR, but he was for most pundits the top WR available and we had a team AT where the owner shot off his mouth too much and promised fans and more important Vick that he would acquire Price.

There was as closed to a guranteed trade partner as you can get so the tagging made sense and despite some initial angry surprise from PP he and TD co-operated in getting the deal done.

JJ is now creeping up the charts as among the top LTs out there as better LTs like Pace and Jones are tagged or signed, but there is still no guranteed (or likely) trade partner out there as only 3 or 4 teams (max) have both the need and the cap room to sign JJ to a big deal.

If the Bills were to tag him. they would have to release him rather than pay a top 5 OL salary for him and by that time the market would have dried up and JJ would have been screwed. Generally using the tag just to screw folks is not done as the team would destroy their rep among players in a big way and have difficulty acquiring new FAs or hanging onto players.

Tagging looks really doubtful. If I were JJ and the Bills tagged me I would sign the $7 million annual offer in a hot second because though it is not the long-term deal he wants that would pay him even more, it is alot more than he will likely get on the market.

Tagging looks really doubtful.  If I were JJ and the Bills tagged me I would sign the $7 million annual offer in a hot second because though it is not the long-term deal he wants that would pay him even more, it is alot more than he will likely get on the market.

244676[/snapback]

I agree with your reasoning but I have this nagging feeling that Jennings is going to be offered much more than he is worth in the open market. He has a connection to Atlanta (UGA) and I would not be surprised to see King Arthur over-pay for another Bill. I just hope we get something in return if we lose him. I hope Pat Williams gets re-signed soon.

Anyone know what top 5 money is for DTs?

Not that I think Pat really merits it at this stage of his career (definitely top 15), but is it a lot?

It seems like we would only franchise a guy if we wanted to (and reasonably thought we could, a la Peerless) trade him. The tag is more of an insult these days than a reward.

He has a connection to Atlanta (UGA) and I would not be surprised to see King Arthur over-pay for another Bill.

244695[/snapback]

Not happening. ATL is in a cap crisis.