[OT] The Myth Of The 100-Year CD-Rom

Tom

The Myth Of The 100-Year CD-Rom  :P

Are we putting too much faith in the ubiquitous "recordable CD", or CD-R? It is undeniably one of the most useful means of storage around, offering an inexpensive way to save digital photographs, music and files and costing less than 50 pence per disc.

Read on............... :blink:

229508[/snapback]

I don't really expect the discs to last more than 3-4 years...though all of the cheap media (0-7 cents/disc) I've bought has surivived more than 5-7 years now...for stuff I really want to keep, I burn to Taiyo Yudens

dude... anyone that thinks cds are the be all and end all are insane. cds are no different than their predessors... first wire, tape, vinyl, 8 track, and cassettes... they all became obsolete due to emergent technology. Heck, memory stix the size of stick of gum hold morre info right now than a CD.

Yeah... rush out to transfer all of your vhs tapes to DVD... and then get ready to transfer them to the next new medium... and on and on.

I've made a few posts about this sort of thing in the past week or so. If you backup (and everyone really should), buy a second harddrive and an external USB enclosure and use that for backups. Harddrives are much more stable than the dye in a CD/DVD.

I've said the same thing in relation to the DVDs I make -- copy everything to your harddrive, just in case the dye starts to deteriorate. You can never have too many backups of data.

And while I'm on the backup kick, you should always have an offsite backup of your data in case your house burns down or something similarlly tragic. Burn copies (or buy an offsite harddrive) that you give to your parents, siblings, etc, or buy a safe-deposit box.

CW

I've made a few posts about this sort of thing in the past week or so.  If you backup (and everyone really should), buy a second harddrive and an external USB enclosure and use that for backups.  Harddrives are much more stable than the dye in a CD/DVD.

I've said the same thing in relation to the DVDs I make -- copy everything to your harddrive, just in case the dye starts to deteriorate.  You can never have too many backups of data.

And while I'm on the backup kick, you should always have an offsite backup of your data in case your house burns down or something similarlly tragic.  Burn copies (or buy an offsite harddrive) that you give to your parents, siblings, etc, or buy a safe-deposit box.

CW

Great idea's.....

I periodically backup all 4 PC's I own to other HDD's, I only need to start keeping them offsite. 0:)

Great idea's..... 

I periodically backup all 4 PC's I own to other HDD's, I only need to start keeping them offsite. 0:)

229747[/snapback]

If you want software that automatically backs up your data to separate harddrives, I highly recommend "Second Copy 2000" -- http://www.centered.com. It's cheap (only $29.95), and works extremely well. It can even keep multiple revisions of the same files. I use it to automate my backups to my backup server.

CW

I've made a few posts about this sort of thing in the past week or so.  If you backup (and everyone really should), buy a second harddrive and an external USB enclosure and use that for backups.  Harddrives are much more stable than the dye in a CD/DVD.

I've said the same thing in relation to the DVDs I make -- copy everything to your harddrive, just in case the dye starts to deteriorate.  You can never have too many backups of data.

And while I'm on the backup kick, you should always have an offsite backup of your data in case your house burns down or something similarlly tragic.  Burn copies (or buy an offsite harddrive) that you give to your parents, siblings, etc, or buy a safe-deposit box.

CW

229531[/snapback]

I agree. In fact those IDE to USB cases are great. I use one for my DVD burner. This puts the burner on the desk for easy access and the computer on the floor where it is a little quieter and out of the way.

My son bought two of these and so far they have worked out well.

IDE to USB external case