Offseason Free Agency/Draft Scenario #2

R. Rich

This one is just a slight variation on my first one.

I'm taking into consideration that we sign a new LT, hopefully Tra Thomas, and acquire a veteran CB to help us match up against 3-4 WR sets-preferably someone like Jason Craft or Aaron Beasley.

Here's my latest mock draft for the Bills:

2nd round: Rian Wallace (LB; Temple)

A very good pass rusher who may develop into a good every-down LB and push Posey for the starting position on the strong side.

3rd round: Jason Brown (C; North Carolina)

Strong as a bull and technically sound. His footwork will need work (he's slow), but he's a solid prospect.

4th round: Anthony Bryant (DT; Alabama)

Big guy who can be a monster run stuffer. He's not a great pass rusher, but will definitely help shut down the interior rush lanes.

5th round: Junius Coston (C; North Carolina A&T)

Solid athlete. Raw, but full of potential. He has played center, guard, and tackle, so he's versatile enough to provide depth at all 3 line positions.

6th round: Karl Paymah (CB; Washington State)

Big, physical corner with pretty good coverage skills. The knock on him is his speed (4.5 range), which will drop him some, but shouldn't rule him out. As a nickel/dime back, especially when not used in press man coverage, he can do well.

7th round: Rhys Lloyd (K; Minnesota)

Strong leg and is clutch. What he needs is a good coach to get him focused on being a solid kicker and KEEP him focused. Any doubts that Bobby April can't accomplish this?

Rich--I like the idea of not messing around with OL and CB in the draft. My picks reflect the same FA moves.

Round2: OLB Michael Boley (So. Mississippi) --Senior Bowl didn't showcase Boley's blitz game because they didn't allow blitzing. He'll be around at our pick.

Round3: WR Fred Gibson (Georgia)--Good blocking, big, and tall, ranked in the top 10 in the draft. We'd have a 3-some that could be tops in YAC yardage.

Round4: C Scott Mruczkowski, Purdue--nominated for 2004 Rotary Lombardi Award (best lineman in college football) ... also nominated for 2004 Rimington Trophy which is given to the nation's top center ... helped lead the Falcons in scoring offense (43.6), pass offense (335.6), total offense (501.6), turnover margin (1.36) and sacks against (1.00) per game...also helped the team to a 4.7 yards per rush, which ranks second in the MAC.

Round5: CB Alphonso Hodge, Miami-Ohio--has experience with playing both man to man and zone coverages. He shows good ability to turn and run with receivers. Hodge posseses good speed and can keep up with most receivers. Strengths: tackling, closing speed, physicality

Round6: OT Rian Melander-Minnesota --tabbed as the 10th-best offensive tackle in the nation, part of an offensive line that is rated second in the nation by Lindy’s , great quickness and technique who excels as a pass blocker protecting the quarterback’s blindside... a self-made man who has become the player he is through hard work.

Round7: MLB Robert McCune-Louisville--Team leader in tackles with 143.... registered eight double-digit tackle games ... second on the team with four sacks ...

Rich--I like the idea of not messing around with OL and CB in the draft. My picks reflect the same FA moves.

Round2: OLB Michael Boley (So. Mississippi) --Senior Bowl didn't showcase Boley's blitz game because they didn't allow blitzing. He'll be around at our pick.

Round3: WR Fred Gibson (Georgia)--Good blocking, big, and tall, ranked in the top 10 in the draft. We'd have a 3-some that could be tops in YAC yardage.

Round4: C Scott Mruczkowski, Purdue--nominated for 2004 Rotary Lombardi Award (best lineman in college football) ... also nominated for 2004 Rimington Trophy which is given to the nation's top center ... helped lead the Falcons in scoring offense (43.6), pass offense (335.6), total offense (501.6), turnover margin (1.36) and sacks against (1.00) per game...also helped the team to a 4.7 yards per rush, which ranks second in the MAC.

Round5: CB Alphonso Hodge, Miami-Ohio--has experience with playing both man to man and zone coverages. He shows good ability to turn and run with receivers. Hodge posseses good speed and can keep up with most receivers. Strengths: tackling, closing speed, physicality

Round6: OT Rian Melander-Minnesota --tabbed as the 10th-best offensive tackle in the nation, part of an offensive line that is rated second in the nation by Lindy’s , great quickness and technique who excels as a pass blocker protecting the quarterback’s blindside... a self-made man who has become the player he is through hard work.

Round7: MLB Robert McCune-Louisville--Team leader in tackles with 143.... registered eight double-digit tackle games ... second on the team with four sacks ...

227746[/snapback]

Nice. I like both Boley and McCune. I've had the opportunity to watch both players this past season and I would be happy to see the Bills end up with either or both. If Gibson has as good a combine workout as he did a Senior Bowl, you can count him out as a 3rd round option. He was impressive in that game. I still like Jason Brown better than the other options at center, but if he's gone, I'd consider Junius Coston of North Carolina A&T before Mruczkowski. Here's how I'd rate them:

1. Brown

2. Chris Spencer of Mississippi

3. Ben Wilkerson of LSU

4. Coston

5. Mruczkowski

I'm still not too sure of Wikerson due to his knee injury. If he's completely healed, he'd be a steal in the 3rd. Otherwise, I'd go after Brown.

I was thinking about WRs. We do have young players in Evans, Reed and Aiken that has already shown some to a lot, and it may be prematurely to spend a high draft pick on another WR (at least if Moulds restructures like he has indicated, and stays on for a few years still).

But what if this scenario happened. Mark Clayton meassures in at the combine at 5-9 170 or 180 something. I know he looks to be listed at 5-11 on most sites, but i think i read somewhere with regards to the senior bowl that he meassured only 5-9.

If that height drops him to our 2nd round pick, do we pick him ?.

He is compared to Steve Smith at on site, and if he turns out like him (with Smith showing last year capabilities of being a #1 WR), he would be worth spending a 2nd rounder on even though we have other higher needs.

With Clayton being described as a very good after the catch guy, and an excellent in traffic, he could see some time as our #3 WR already next season.

Probably a long shot him being available in the 2nd, but who knows.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another guy that seems intruiging as a WR is Reggie Harrell of TCU.

Not listed very high, and should be around in the 5-7th round, but an interesting sounding guy.

Here is some bio on him from another site:

" Harrell has very good hands and is capable of making tough grabs as well as the easy ones. He's also tough and will go over the middle and take hits. He displays good leaping ability and athleticism in going up for passes in traffic. He also shows a great work ethic and attitude on the field and is a positive locker room presence. "

He is listed as 6-3 210, and could be a nice 3rd down and red zone target.

I think i posted this link on the TSW also, but looks nice and can handle a second posting :w00t:. The 2nd catch is a really nice one.

Reggie Harrell

You can forget Clayton dropping to the late 2nd, Norfan. With the way he's been producing (great week of practice before the Senior Bowl and played okay in the game), he's first round material for sure. I could see a team like Baltimore taking him if he's available and guys like Braylon Edwards and Mike Williams are long gone.

You are probably right Rich, late second is too far no matter where he meassures in. But there are a couple of wild cards at WR in Troy Williamson and Chris Henry, that might push Clayton down to #5 WR, if team are insistent in going for height.

Still, he probably would be gone by our pick at 48. But if he should fall to the 2nd round, we might be able to trade up for him (Henry). But i guess if we were to trade up, it doesn't make much sense to do it for a WR in our case.

You are probably right Rich, late second is too far no matter where he meassures in. But there are a couple of wild cards at WR in Troy Williamson and Chris Henry, that might push Clayton down to #5 WR, if team are insistent in going for height.

Still, he probably would be gone by our pick at 48. But if he should fall to the 2nd round, we might be able to trade up for him (Henry). But i guess if we were to trade up, it doesn't make much sense to do it for a WR in our case.

232522[/snapback]

No, it certainly doesn't make sense to disregard needs in the pass rush, secondary, and on the OL for the sake of another WR. If the Bills can find a steal at WR, that would be fine. But, they really need to address the OL this year. We're looking pretty good at the so-called 'skill positions' and we're not on the line. We're not that talented and certainly not very deep. I still hope we land a good free agent at either LT or LG. I would prefer to see us sign Tra Thomas at LT, then look to draft a good LG prospect in the 2nd or 3rd round. I'm also hoping we land a center to either push for the starting job or to provide quality depth.

Before the Senior Bowl, I would've said a guy to look at that might be available for the Bills at WR was Fred Gibson, but he had a very good game and looks to be playing himself out of the Bills range. But, you never know.

Totally agree. We will not pick WR in Round 2 or 3 with the other irons in the fire. RRich's other draft has us picking up an OT and OG. If that comes true, then I'd be more likely to shop for a WR than a TE in FA, and fill needs from the draft in the K, S, and DT areas.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.