Any thoughts on how MM/Clements view TE situation?

Cliff noted begin- Sorry for the lack of cliffnotes on this post but it really is me thinking out loud (or at least in print) about a TE situation I neither have good enough info to make a judgment or an insight into our overall plan and timing. Any additional thoughts or musings on the TE situation for those who wish to waste the time to work through this post is much appreciated and if you do not have the time please go out and enjoy the winter weather. Cliff notes end.

I was very very impressed with how Clements and MM ran and developed our O this season.

The bottomline is that they demonstrated success in producing a winning season though it fell short of where fans and they hoped it would be.

In terms of analyzing the O performance in particular, there are many specifis to analyze like the deadhorse we are beating on TSW regarding QB play, and ultimately the context to me is that all teams play the schedule they are given, on any given Sunday (or Monday) any pro team can beat another pro team (as seen in the NE/Miami game) and that overall they led the way to putting points on the board using the whole team and the offensive play during the streak was an essential part of that point production as the ST and field position delivered by the D were aswell.

That being said (mostly by me to stop us from getting too distracted into replaying the QB deadhorse) the particular point I am trying to think through is how MM (and thus Clements) view the TE situation and what they are going to and/or should do about this.

Overall, I think MM views the TE position as one of importance and probably greater importance than many other HCs becausehe played the position in the NFL. Most teams strike me as not really knowing how to get good and consistent output from the TE because the position is such a tweener. The TE in a perfect world should be a solid receiver and also a solid blocker. Particularly as the 6' 7" ish bodies who can play both these roles are heading off to make even more money playing forward in the NBA. bulking up to become OL players or slimming down to become receivers their simply is a lack of Tony Gonzales type athletes which most teams seem to dea with by simply using the TE as an extra blocker and role player.

The Bills actually have ample talent at the TE position-

Campbell- a definite find by TD and a good deal as he merely has to give up a 7th for a player who upgraded the position for us, has done well enough as a blocker on running plays (particularly on seal block plays allowing WM to stiff-arm his way around the corner) and his pass pro has suffered more from the general OL problems and lack of Drew mobility than him getting routinely beat around the corner.

Euhus- Bills actually made a significant expenditure on him using a 3rd on TE rather than addressing out needs on DL. He showed some good potential as a pass catcher and it does not seem outrageous that he will develop the tep Remeirsma has a feared receiving threat giving the QB not only a safety valve which occupies the thought of the OLB so he is less effective as a run stopper or blitzer, but has the ability to run medium patterns so a DB or SS must watch him rather than crowding the line and WM-

Neufeld- Not a stunning player at all, but a solid back-up on a rainy day which came upon us with injuries to the first two. He is not the answer to the full-time starter question. I'm glad we have him due to the injuries but his level of play and the injuries is why TD is now talking TE as a need.

Trafford- signed only due to the injuries and I'm glad to have this project when we are forced to dip into the4th string due to injuries, but make no mistake he is a 4th string level player who would only make the team normally as a back-up with ST chops and even that would be a tremendous accomplishment under normal circumstances.

Peters- Boy, what a wildcard. He apparently has tremedous speed in such a big body and also has incredibly soft hands to boot. Like any youngster he needs a lot of work to bring his blocking on a par that is worthwhile and the fact he looks so good on the receiving side, but still ended up being just a project testifies to how much work his blocking needed. The fact he made the roster as a tackle is intriguing since perhaps this was mostly a way to give him work and to make clear to him that how he masters the blocking game will determine whether he is in this league or not. A wonderlic score of 9 and his failure to tell the refs he was in one game as TE with a tackle's # when injuries pressed him into service does not speak wonders for his brain power which is the rap on him. Stil the fact he has made the roster based on his receiving prospects when his brain power and assumably his blocking were so marginal speaks loads to his pass catching skills being special. The fact that he forced his way onto the inside punt rushing squad because no one could block him in practice and he translated this into a blocked punt and athletically gifted TD recovery simply makes this fan say Oh my!

At any rate, despite having 5 possible players for 3 positions often seen as an afterthought, the big deal is the injuries to Campbell and Euhus. Both apparently are ACL tears which are survivable for athletes like never before thanks to modern surgery and rehab techniques. However, the reality is that given that great athletes like Edgerin James and Willis M needed over a year before even these great athletes looked like their former selves, it is not unreasonable to fear that at best it will be the beginning of the 2006 season before we can count upon either of these players playing at the level we want at TE.

It is easy for me to see that MM/Clements/TD would place TE acquisition on their list of off-season 2005 things to do because if we plan to make the playoffs and actually have a reasonable chance at winning it all in 2005, Neufeld with a back-up of Trafford and a hope that one of our two injuries will redevelop quickly (we hope so, there is a reasonable chance of this, but you can't bank on it) is not sufficent to go into the season.

I think the Bills have several options which include:

1. Get a placeholder TE in case Campbell or Euhus end up needing a full season to recover. Perhaps there is a cap casualty we can get who can hold the job for a year with back-up support and we le him go the next year.

2. Develop internally as Peters is the real deal and we merely need one of our injuries to not be so badly hurt and with the back-up of Neufeld/Trafford we will be OK.

3. Pick-up a new prospect to be our TE of the future and deal with cap impliacations we are unfortunately forced to have due to injuries.

I think it is all a tough deal and in a perfect world I hope the docs give me reports on Campbell/Euhus which allow me to go forward without spending additonal cap resources on TE, but right now I don't see it (ANYONE HEAR ANY SCUTTLEBUTT ON THESE TWO INJURIES IT IS MUCH APPRECIATED TO KNOW MORE).

Right now, I am quite intrigued about UFAs Freddie Jones (AZ), Bubba Franks (GB) and Anthony Becht (NYJ) who all have been highly regarded at some point in their careers and had some production as NFL players. If they get a great deal from their present teams or on the market more power to them as I do not think that any are worth the ranch and the dog to sign. However, if TD cn reenact the magic he performed getting Sam Adams to sign a reasonable deal and turn in play that achieved the Pro Bowl that is a good deal.

The other wild possibility which I have played with on TSW is that what TD is really trying to do with Henry in saying we want a 2nd for him is actually to pry some great value out of Miami who seems to be the lead target for Henry but does not have a second this year. Perhaps he has some odd packaging in mind to replace our lost first. Perhaps he thinks he can get a 1st next year from the Fins since they can't do a 2nd this year. Perhaps there is some wild dream about getting Fins receiver TE McMichael in exchange for Henry.

Some folks complain that McMichael cannot block (though others on TSW who have watched the Fins say he can. Looking at the stats, he has produced with is receiving at a level which I judge to be above Henry's production. Even if Mcmichael is incomplete as a TE, I do see it as a possibility that MM may think he has the TE knowledge to make McMichael a special player and a good enough blocker at TE with his understanding of the position.

I don't know, but the TE possiblities for this team under MM intrigue me.

Cliff noted begin- Sorry for the lack of cliffnotes on this post but it really is me thinking out loud (or at least in print) about a TE situation I neither have good enough info to make a judgment or an insight into our overall plan and timing.  Any additional thoughts or musings on the TE situation for those who wish to waste the time to work through this post is much appreciated and if you do not have the time please go out and enjoy the winter weather.  Cliff notes end.

I was very very impressed with how Clements and MM ran and developed our O this season.

The bottomline is that they demonstrated success in producing a winning season though it fell short of where fans and they hoped it would be.

In terms of analyzing the O performance in particular, there are many specifis to analyze like the deadhorse we are beating on TSW regarding QB play, and ultimately the context to me is that all teams play the schedule they are given, on any given Sunday (or Monday) any pro team can beat another pro team (as seen in the NE/Miami game) and that overall they led the way to putting points on the board using the whole team and the offensive play during the streak was an essential part of that point production as the ST and field position delivered by the D were aswell.

That being said (mostly by me to stop us from getting too distracted into replaying the QB deadhorse) the particular point I am trying to think through is how MM (and thus Clements) view the TE situation and what they are going to and/or should do about this.

Overall, I think MM views the TE position as one of importance and probably greater importance than many other HCs becausehe played the position in the NFL.  Most teams strike me as not really knowing how to get good and consistent output from the TE because the position is such a tweener.  The TE in a perfect world should be a solid receiver and also a solid blocker.  Particularly as the 6' 7" ish bodies who can play both these roles are heading off to make even more money playing forward in the NBA. bulking up to become OL players or slimming down to become receivers their simply is a lack of Tony Gonzales type athletes which most teams seem to dea with by simply using the TE as an extra blocker and role player.

The Bills actually have ample talent at the TE position-

Campbell- a definite find by TD and a good deal as he merely has to give up a 7th for a player who upgraded the position for us, has done well enough as a blocker on running plays (particularly on seal block plays allowing WM to stiff-arm his way around the corner) and his pass pro has suffered more from the general OL problems and lack of Drew mobility than him getting routinely beat around the corner.

Euhus- Bills actually made a significant expenditure on him using a 3rd on TE rather than addressing out needs on DL.  He showed some good potential as a pass catcher and it does not seem outrageous that he will develop the tep Remeirsma has a feared receiving threat giving the QB not only a safety valve which occupies the thought of the OLB so he is less effective as a run stopper or blitzer, but has the ability to run medium patterns so a DB or SS must watch him rather than crowding the line and WM-

Neufeld- Not a stunning player at all, but a solid back-up on a rainy day which came upon us with injuries to the first two.  He is not the answer to the full-time starter question.  I'm glad we have him due to the injuries but his level of play and the injuries is why TD is now talking TE as a need.

Trafford- signed only due to the injuries and I'm glad to have this project when we are forced to dip into the4th string due to injuries, but make no mistake he is a 4th string level player who would only make the team normally as a back-up with ST chops and even that would be a tremendous accomplishment under normal circumstances.

Peters- Boy, what a wildcard.  He apparently has tremedous speed in such a big body and also has incredibly soft hands to boot.  Like any youngster he needs a lot of work to bring his blocking on a par that is worthwhile and the fact he looks so good on the receiving side, but still ended up being just a project testifies to how much work his blocking needed.  The fact he made the roster as a tackle is intriguing since perhaps this was mostly a way to give him work and to make clear to him that how he masters the blocking game will determine whether he is in this league or not.  A wonderlic score of 9 and his failure to tell the refs he was in one game as TE with a tackle's # when injuries pressed him into service does not speak wonders for his brain power which is the rap on him.  Stil the fact he has made the roster based on his receiving prospects when his brain power and assumably his blocking were so marginal speaks loads to his pass catching skills being special.  The fact that he forced his way onto the inside punt rushing squad because no one could block him in practice and he translated this into a blocked punt and athletically gifted TD recovery simply makes this fan say Oh my!

At any rate, despite having 5 possible players for 3 positions often seen as an afterthought, the big deal is the injuries to Campbell and Euhus.  Both apparently are ACL tears which are survivable for athletes like never before thanks to modern surgery and rehab techniques.  However, the reality is that given that great athletes like Edgerin James and Willis M needed over a year before even these great athletes looked like their former selves, it is not unreasonable to fear that at best it will be the beginning of the 2006 season before we can count upon either of these players playing at the level we want at TE.

It is easy for me to see that MM/Clements/TD would place TE acquisition on their list of off-season 2005 things to do because if we plan to make the playoffs and actually have a reasonable chance at winning it all in 2005, Neufeld with a back-up of Trafford and a hope that one of our two injuries will redevelop quickly (we hope so, there is a reasonable chance of this, but you can't bank on it) is not sufficent to go into the season.

I think the Bills have several options which include:

1. Get a placeholder TE in case Campbell or Euhus end up needing a full season to recover.  Perhaps there is a cap casualty we can get who can hold the job for a year with back-up support and we le him go the next year.

2. Develop internally as Peters is the real deal and we merely need one of our injuries to not be so badly hurt and with the back-up of Neufeld/Trafford we will be OK.

3. Pick-up a new prospect to be our TE of the future and deal with cap impliacations we are unfortunately forced to have due to injuries.

I think it is all a tough deal and in a perfect world I hope the docs give me reports on Campbell/Euhus which allow me to go forward without spending additonal cap resources on TE, but right now I don't see it  (ANYONE HEAR ANY SCUTTLEBUTT ON THESE TWO INJURIES IT IS MUCH APPRECIATED TO KNOW MORE). 

Right now, I am quite intrigued about UFAs Freddie Jones (AZ), Bubba Franks (GB) and Anthony Becht (NYJ) who all have been highly regarded at some point in their careers and had some production as NFL players.  If they get a great deal from their present teams or on the market more power to them as I do not think that any are worth the ranch and the dog to sign.  However, if TD cn reenact the magic he performed getting Sam Adams to sign a reasonable deal and turn in play that achieved the Pro Bowl that is a good deal.

The other wild possibility which I have played with on TSW is that what TD is really trying to do with Henry in saying we want a 2nd for him is actually to pry some great value out of Miami who seems to be the lead target for Henry but does not have a second this year.  Perhaps he has some odd packaging in mind to replace our lost first.  Perhaps he thinks he can get a 1st next year from the Fins since they can't do a 2nd this year.  Perhaps there is some wild dream about getting Fins receiver TE McMichael in exchange for Henry.

Some folks complain that McMichael cannot block (though others on TSW who have watched the Fins say he can.  Looking at the stats, he has produced with is receiving at a level which I judge to be above Henry's production.  Even if Mcmichael is incomplete as a TE, I do see it as a possibility that MM may think he has the TE knowledge to make McMichael a special player and a good enough blocker at TE with his understanding of the position.

I don't know, but the TE possiblities for this team under MM intrigue me.

222611[/snapback]

I like the thought of trading for McMichael for sure but I think the Bills may want the pick rather than a player and then they an pay what they want on who they want at TE rather than being stuck with McMichaels contract which was negotiated by someone else. The other problem is McMichael himself, he may not want to go to Buff. If I had pick of the Fins litter, I would work a trade for Jason Taylor somehow rather than McMichael and get a guy like Franks.

I like the thought of trading for McMichael for sure but I think the Bills may want the pick rather than a player and then they an pay what they want on who they want at TE rather than being stuck with McMichaels contract which was negotiated by someone else. The other problem is McMichael himself, he may not want to go to Buff. If I had pick of the Fins litter, I would work a trade for Jason Taylor somehow rather than McMichael and get a guy like Franks.

222614[/snapback]

The answer to the TE problem is Heath Miller at Va. We will trade up to grab this guy. He is Jeremy Shockey with more aptitude and less atitude. He is the offensive weapon we need to develop JP. Our other TE are serviceable at best.

The answer to the TE problem is Heath Miller at Va.  We will trade up to grab this guy.  He is Jeremy Shockey with more aptitude and less atitude.  He is the offensive weapon we need to develop JP.  Our other TE are serviceable at best.

222629[/snapback]

To get into the 1st, where Miller is likely to go, we would need to package picks. Most likely 2-2nds, or a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th or 6th. I dont see us giving up THAT much to move up for a TE. Especially when FA is fairly deep between Franks, Becht, and Wiggins.

Ask yourself, would you give up say CJ Brooks AND Mike Nugent for Heath Miller?

I don't see the Bills trading up into the 1st round.

If we are fortunate enough to get a 2nd round choice for TH then we would be better off keeping both our 2nd rd choices rather than trade up for one player. Especially since the Bills shold be interested in K Mike "Theodore" Nugent.

Plus we do have decent TE's on our roster, and its easy to conceive that one of them will step it up. Not to mention there are a few quality TE's available in FA.

Jason Peters will start next season.

I hope!  <_<

222659[/snapback]

We have average TE coming off ACL surgery. This is among our greatest needs. The free agent TE are nothing special. I am hoping that Heath Miller falls to late 1st or early 2nd and we package Travis and our 2nd to move up to get him. For those of you who think we are going to draft Nugent-it won't happen. The last time the bills used a high draft on a Kicker it was a 3rd round pick and we cut him in the preseason. Cutting Gary Anderson was a huge mistake needless to say.

We have average TE coming off ACL surgery.  This is among our greatest needs.  The free agent TE are nothing special.  I am hoping that Heath Miller falls to late 1st or early 2nd and we package Travis and our 2nd to move up to get him.  For those of you who think we are going to draft Nugent-it won't happen.  The last time the bills used a high draft on a Kicker it was a 3rd round pick and we cut him in the preseason.  Cutting Gary Anderson was a huge mistake needless to say.

Gary Anderson WANTED to get cut. I hate that bastard! I love the fact that he choked on that kick to send the Vikes to the SB backn in 1998.

As for the TE's, I think Euhus had the potential to be better than average, but with him and Campbell coming off late-season ACL injuries, they'll be useles for most of the season, if not all of it. I think the Bills need to address it, along with O-line.

Gary Anderson WANTED to get cut.  I hate that bastard!  I love the fact that he choked on that kick to send the Vikes to the SB backn in 1998. 

As for the TE's, I think Euhus had the potential to be better than average, but with him and Campbell coming off late-season ACL injuries, they'll be useles for most of the season, if not all of it.  I think the Bills need to address it, along with O-line.

222818[/snapback]