BGiM's Mock, Version 2.0

BillsGuyInMalta

I posted this on The Wall around a week ago, but I figured it would be better suited here. I also included some of my thoughts on free agency and who the Bills should go after. Hope you all enjoy my ramblings.

1) Drew Bledsoe takes a pay cut to stay with the team. Whether thats as a backup or as a starter will be determined in camp.

2) Travis Henry is traded for a 3rd rounder to either Arizona, Miami or Oakland.

3) Moulds restructures like he says he is going to, freeing up a good chunk of

cash.

3) Offers given to EFAs Stamer and Dorenbos and RFAs Burns and Thomas.

4) Re-sign Pat Williams and Marcus Price...sadly, methinks Jonas wants too much money.

5) Release Pierson Prioleau and Rian Lindell.

--In free agency I dont see the Bills going after any real big name FAs, just good solid role players who can contribute, a la Chris Villarial--

6a) Sign Dane Looker, WR from St. Louis: Anyone who saw that Rams game on Saturday saw that Looker was the only WR who apparently does not have the dropsies. He was pushed out of the 3rd WR spot by the surprising Kevin Curtis and the fact that he was in Martz's doghouse for most of the 2003-2004 seasons. An excellent possession WR with great hands, good speed and a runs some of the best routes in football. Unheralded, under the radar signing who could really blossom in Buffalo as our 3rd WR and could easily beat out Josh "Butterfingers" Reed. Might even make TD cut Reed after Training Camp.

6b) Sign Amos Zereoue, RB from Oakland: With Henry gone, the Bills would need a backup just in case Shaud Williams cant handle the load. Zereoue is a veteran with some damn good speed, plus is familiar with Mularkey's system from his days in Pittsburgh.

6c) Sign Ryan Diem, OT from Indy: Got dinged up and had to leave in the playoff game on Sunday, and Indy's O-Line showed why he was one of the better performers on it. The O-Line looked terrible without him, and the good news is that Indy will spend its remaining money keeping Edge, and leaving him open to the UFA market. Could be TD's "mdinight signing" of 2005.

6d) Sign Rick DeMulling, OG from Indy: If we got Diem, I'd love to see his buddy DeMulling signed as a starter next to him. Once again, the Colts will have almost no cash to spend after the new deal to Harrison and the impending new deal to Edge, so DeMulling would be free to sign with anyone. At the very worst, he'd be a Marcus Price type of backup for our O-Line. At best, he'd beat out Tucker for the LG spot.

6e) Sign Freddie Jones, TE from Arizona: A former Pro Bowler who has flopped in Arizona, but how much is that due to a series of bad offensive systems he was forced to play in? I'd see if he can recapture the magic in Buffalo, and even if he cant he'd be a solid goal-line receiving TE to work with Campbell.

--Thats really it for free agents...I know some people would like to see some of the bigger names come to Buffalo, but I'd be satisfied with that group...Now onto the Draft!--

2nd rounder) Mike Nugent, Kicker out of Ohio State: I seriously think this is our best option, and I guarantee you if we dont take him in the 2nd round, the Jets will take Nugent with their pick after ours and make us pay for years. Nugent is a weapon, and is the best kicking prospect to come out of college in the last decade. Think Jason Elam, Version 2.0. Nugent is one of the most accurate kickers in NCAA history and would already be a top 10 kicker the second he enters the NFL. He knows how to kick in bad weather and is uber-clutch, as he's had many game-winning FGs throughout his career. Plus, the guy can nail 50 yarders with ease and has oustanding character. With Nugent, we win two more games next year then we did this year, just by having such a damn good kicker.

3rd rounder A) David Greene, QB out of Georgia: I really like David Greene. I feel that with Shane Matthews heading into retirement and with Drew Bledsoe's future up in the air, the Bills should invest a first day pick into Losman's future back-up. Greene does not strike me as a player who will ever be a starter, but he looks like a very solid QB who can come off the bench if the starter is injured and play well. He has fantastic accuracy and reads defenses very well. He has issues because he, athletically, isnt as electrifying as some of the other QB prospects, but his arm strength is still comparable to most NFL QBs. Just a good, safe pick who could learn under Wyche and spend a season as our 3rd stringer before he takes over the back-up role in 2006.

3rd rounder B) Antonio Perkins, CB out of Oklahoma: This kid was an amazing returner in college, and would make our punt return team even better. Since McGee apparently doesnt do punt returns, having Perkins add his talents to our roster would make every time our opponent kicks the ball to us an adventure for their coverage teams. Plus, it keeps Clements at CB so we no longer have to worry about his fumbling and he can concentrate and stay healthy as our #1 CB. Perkins is no slouch at CB though, he had a leg injury this year which limited him, but he's excellent in coverage and a year as our nickel or dime back could prepare him to step up as the #2 in case Clements bolts for FA after this year.

4th rounder) Dan Buenning, OG out of Wisconsin: A solid O-Lineman prospect who has played for a long time on the Badger O-Line. Is not physically dominating, but I've seen him handle a lot of DTs by himself with no problems. I consider him one of the big steals of this year's draft class due to his experience and leadership skills. Would give our O-Line some very good depth.

5th rounder) Wes Simms, OT out of Oklahoma: Yep, I want more O-Lineman. I like Simms because of his versatility, he can play both tackle and guard, something which usually extends your NFL career. Another player who spent a long time starting on his team's O-Line. You can never count against experience, especially when it was on Oklahoma O-Line against top notch college competition.

6th rounder) Diamond Ferry, S out of Syracuse: Another versatile player who had a very solid senior year for the Orange. People remember him for his outstanding stand-in play at RB this year when Walter Reyes was hurt, but made great strides at Safety this year as well. Could be a great special teams player for the Bills.

7th rounder) Roydell Williams, WR out of Tulane: JP Losman's favorite target at Tulane, I think it would help Losman a lot during his run at the starting job to see a familiar face. Williams isnt oustanding in any area, but he's a very good possession WR with solid hands. Probably a practice squad guy his first year.

--There ya go kids, now I'll admit that I'll probably change this as the offseason continues, but I especially like the free agent pick-ups because they wont break the bank but could all contribute immediately--

You think Jonas wants too much money? I think you're right. HOWEVER, what value do other teams place on Jonas? That is what will determine how much money Jonas actually gets. I've read that Jonas wants to play in Atlanta. But wait; wasn't O-line one of the strengths of the Atlanta team in 04? I particularly watched the LT for Atlanta last week and thought he played very well; don't think he allowed a sack. Will Atlanta pay big bucks for a player at a position where there is not so great a need? Looks to me that what Atlanta needs is a big body DT and some quality WRs.

So; what Jonas wants, he may not get. I am not discounting the real possibility that we can re-sign Jonas at a reasonable price.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.