(OT) Anyone ever converted your fireplace...

TheMadCap

I realize this is not practical in WNY where most of you here live, but our new house needs to have the lining replaced. We could shell out the 2800 bucks to use the messy, woodburning fireplace, or convert it to gas. This would keep us from having to replace the lining. Anyone have any experience or info on this??

Thanks!

I realize this is not practical in WNY where most of you here live, but our new house needs to have the lining replaced. We could shell out the 2800 bucks to use the messy, woodburning fireplace, or convert it to gas. This would keep us from having to replace the lining. Anyone have any experience or info on this??

Thanks!

218655[/snapback]

No experience with converting, but I have a gas fireplace and we use it a lot; if it were woodburning, I'm sure we'd only use it a couple times a year due to the hassle.

They have some really nice models that look a lot like a "real" fire as well. Ours is, sadly, low quality and looks like a gas fire for the most part :P

CW

Thanks!

218655[/snapback]

We did it but we just had an insert put in. Cost was similiar (we had that and our new furnace/humidifier put in at the same time for about $6200) but now we have a 90+% efficient gas fireplace that works when the power goes out. Ours is a Heat-N-Glo. It keeps the 2 upper floors comfortable when the power is out and actually has a thermostat.

My advice is to shop around once you've found what you want. The cost ranges were amazing for the same products.

Thanks!

218655[/snapback]

I had a similar dilema. We had a cracked flue tile that would have cost $3k to fix. We opted for a gas insert for less money and have been very happy. I enjoyed building wood fires but would not do it if it was too late or we were going out later. With the gas insert, I hit the remote and the room is warm in 5 minutes (it is in a cold room). I would definitely recommend this approach. We went with a Regency fireplace and dressed it up a little by going with a bay shaped glass instead of the flat front.