TD article from 1/22

Dan III

so why would any team be bending over backwards to land a guy like bledsoe (and his current contract)? why would they be pinning their off-season hopes at the QB position on one guy? that is what i don't get.........

217183[/snapback]

You know, my parents own an antique shop.......sometimes they would come back from these auctions with the biggest pieces of sh*t you could ever imagine. I saw no purpose in it whatsoever. But on more than one occasion I'd find out later on that someone came along and not only bought it, but spent a crapload of money for it. Who knows? Maybe TD is just uncertain of what exactly the market is for Drew........Maybe there is a GM/coach/owner who would love to pick him up. The one thing about TD is that he always keeps his cards close to his vest. He's also a great bluffer. I dunno what's going to happen, but it's going to be interesting no matter which way things turn out

I never said anyone was going to be “bending over backwards” for Bledsoe. Actually, I never said anyone would do anything for Bledsoe. Read back and you’ll see I was writing about what I believe TD is trying to do with his latest statements.

However, I do believe there are some teams in the league that think Drew still has what it takes to win. I think the Cards may be among those teams. I don’t think trading a late draft pick for Drew is bending over backwards.

In reality, I think Drew will be cut and retire. I am just stating what think TD is trying to do right now.

217212[/snapback]

just so i'm crystal clear about this.........

from TD's comment "I think you can have Drew back as a starter" you have surmized:

1) TD may want to dump drew

2) TD thinks some team (possibly ARZ) will take this comment, panic, and out of fear of the bills retaining him, offer some form of compensation for drew

3) TD also thinks drew will then agree to redo his deal, even though he could simply refuse and potentially hit free agency, obviously increasing his chances of getting a better deal and landing in a good situation

yea, i'm just going to take the comment at face value.......i think that's a little less work then your conspiracy theory.......

just so i'm crystal clear about this.........

from the comment "I think you can have Drew back as a starter" you have surmized:

1) he may want to dump drew

2) some team (possibly ARZ) will take this comment, panic, and out of fear of the bills retaining him, offer some form of compensation for drew

3) drew will then agree to redo his deal, even though he could simply refuse and potentially hit free agency, obviously increasing his chances of getting a better deal and landing in a good situation

yea, i'm just going to take the comment at face value.......i think that's a little less work then your conspiracy theory.......

217241[/snapback]

Yeah, like taking things at "face value" is any fun.

By the way, my opinion was not formed based soley on this comment.

I actually have seen TD form a pattern with his comments latetly. He has, much like Moulds did recently, failed to take several easy opportunities to defend Drew. Instead, he opted to say that there were several options to look at. This is not at all like what he did the past two off-seasons where he clearly stated that Drew stil had what it takes. Additionally, Drew was fishing for just such reassurement from TD when he declared the Bills was still "his" team. What did TD respond with? TD leaked a story to his pals at ESPN that he was demanding Drew to take paycut.

Yeah, like taking things at "face value" is any fun.

By the way, my opinion was not formed based soley on this comment.

I actually have seen TD form a pattern with his comments latetly. He has, much like Moulds did recently, failed to take several easy opportunities to defend Drew. Instead, he opted to say that there were several options to look at. This is not at all like what he did the past two off-seasons where he clearly stated that Drew stil had what it takes. Additionally, Drew was fishing for just such reassurement from TD when he declared the Bills was still "his" team. What did TD respond with? TD leaked a story to his pals at ESPN that he was demanding Drew to take paycut.

217258[/snapback]

well, speculate away if you like........i just don't understand how so many people can get so worked up over a rumour ....

i think when he says "i think you can have drew back as a starter" he is defending him -- many fans believe that isn't the case at all and that the decision has already been made.......

but if your going to speculate, i'll throw out another theory for ya -- have you considered maybe he is just trying to motivate drew to keep the pedal down this off-season? maybe he just wants drew to squirm a bit in hopes that he'll motivate him into a good off-season.......

"TD leaked a story to his pals at ESPN that he was demanding Drew to take paycut."

haha.........then why hasn't he backed up THAT story then?? you say he hasn't backed up drew in one breath so that means he must want him gone, but the next you point to a story that TD has not backed up either and say that also indicates he wants him to go.......you really have a bias here, and it shows........

well, speculate away if you like........i just don't understand how so many people can get so worked up over a rumour ....

i think when he says "i think you can have drew back as a starter" he is defending him -- many fans believe that isn't the case at all and that the decision has already been made.......

but if your going to speculate, i'll throw out another theory for ya -- have you considered maybe he is just trying to motivate drew to keep the pedal down this off-season? maybe he just wants drew to squirm a bit in hopes that he'll motivate him into a good off-season.......

"TD leaked a story to his pals at ESPN that he was demanding Drew to take paycut."

haha.........then why hasn't he backed up THAT story then?? you say he hasn't backed up drew in one breath so that means he must want him gone, but the next you point to a story that TD has not backed up either and say that also indicates he wants him to go.......you really have a bias here, and it shows........

217277[/snapback]

Not trying to hide any bias. I don't want to see Drew in a Bills uniform ever again. I'm not worked up, by the way. I know all this is speculation. That's what time of year it is. I see no problem with speculating when you make it clear that that is what you're doing.

As I just wrote, TD saying that Drew could be the starter next year is a big change from what TD has said every chance he could since he traded for Drew. He has always, prior to this, been very adamant about Drew keeping his job.

I don't think TD is in the business of motivating players. That is the coaches' job.

So you don't think TD leaked the story to ESPN? Have you heard TD come out and deny it? Why hasn't he if it's not true? He has denied other ESPN stories in the past -- when they were false.

We'll see in the next month or so.

i think you are jumping to conclusions.......

i think the comment "we will make a decision at QB the next couple weeks" could also just be the decision as to whether to open the competition or not.......it may have nothing to do with having drew take a pay cut or contemplating cutting him completely.........

it is possible they could name a starter in february........

you have assumed when he says "decision" that he means "who will be on the roster", when in fact he could just mean "depth chart decision".........

217172[/snapback]

I don't know. I don't think teams routinely make depth chart decisions before they've even had mini-camps, unless those depth charts decisions also have roster implications. If they're going to keep DB and JP at their current prices, I'd imagine they'd at least practice through the spring before making some big depth chart announcement.

I could be wrong I guess. Cinnci might have made their Carson Palmer announcement last year pretty early. I can't remember when they did it.

Not trying to hide any bias. I don't want to see Drew in a Bills uniform ever again. I'm not worked up, by the way. I know all this is speculation. That's what time of year it is. I see no problem with speculating when you make it clear that that is what you're doing.

As I just wrote, TD saying that Drew could be the starter next year is a big change from what TD has said every chance he could since he traded for Drew. He has always, prior to this, been very adamant about Drew keeping his job.

I don't think TD is in the business of motivating players. That is the coaches' job.

So you don't think TD leaked the story to ESPN? Have you heard TD come out and deny it? Why hasn't he if it's not true? He has denied other ESPN stories in the past -- when they were false.

We'll see in the next month or so.

217315[/snapback]

I'll give you some speculation in spades.

Ralph jumped off the Bledsoe wagon after the Pitt game.

TD polls the coaches on whether they care if DB comes or goes. They say not as a starter.

TD, at Ralph's behest, sets in motion a plan to reduce Drew's cost to the team.

It is: lowball him at 2 million; spend no more than 3 $M/yr.

If he negotiates, fine. If not, the JP era begins in March.