Emmitt Smith: Not Likely to Return to Cardinals

I said even before the Cards came public with their intentions towards getting Travis that Arizona would be the best possible place for him. But, another important aspect to Arizona being the most likely canidate for Henry's services is simply because Arizona has had SERIOUS trouble recruiting free agents to play for them over the last few years. If Shaun Alexander does indeed make it to FA this year, I somehow doubt that Arizona would be his prime choice over more traditionally succesful franchises like Oakland, San Francisco or Miami. If the Cards really wanted to get a starting RB, it wont be through FA since its very hard for them to draw in free agents. So Henry makes the most sense for them.

I said even before the Cards came public with their intentions towards getting Travis that Arizona would be the best possible place for him.  But, another important aspect to Arizona being the most likely canidate for Henry's services is simply because Arizona has had SERIOUS trouble recruiting free agents to play for them over the last few years.  If Shaun Alexander does indeed make it to FA this year, I somehow doubt that Arizona would be his prime choice over more traditionall succesful franchises like Oakland, San Francisco or Miami.  If the Cards really wanted to get a starting RB, it wont be through FA since its very hard for them to draw in free agents.  So Henry makes the most sense for them.

214879[/snapback]

That is a very good point that I never considered before.

I said even before the Cards came public with their intentions towards getting Travis that Arizona would be the best possible place for him.  But, another important aspect to Arizona being the most likely canidate for Henry's services is simply because Arizona has had SERIOUS trouble recruiting free agents to play for them over the last few years.  If Shaun Alexander does indeed make it to FA this year, I somehow doubt that Arizona would be his prime choice over more traditionally succesful franchises like Oakland, San Francisco or Miami.  If the Cards really wanted to get a starting RB, it wont be through FA since its very hard for them to draw in free agents.  So Henry makes the most sense for them.

214879[/snapback]

In the past, yes, you are correct. They were abysmal at luring free agents here to the desert. But dont be so fast to think this regime cannot land the big free agent. Denny Green being here makes AZ much more appealling to the big names. They have made a SERIOUS effort to try and turn the ship around. They are at a similar place as the bills circa 1987. Making the right decisions not the "Cheap" one. I would not be suprised to see the Cards in the Playoffs in the next 2 years. Nor would I be suprised to see them go after Travis.

Denny Green being here makes AZ much more appealling to the big names. They have made a SERIOUS effort to try and turn the ship around. They are at a similar place as the bills circa 1987.

214911[/snapback]

You may be right, but I still wonder about Denny's QB carousel decisions in the middle of the season while the Cards were still in the NFC playoff hunt.