Snap Count vs. Performance

Sorry i screwed up this posting earlier but here's to trying again.

I think we all agree that Tuel had a much better showing today than he did against Cleveland. Though it is obvious that he still has a long way to go. I agree that part of the problem in Cleveland was weather/hostile stadium. But how much was it due to him not getting enough snaps with the first team in practice the week leading up?

I know that we need to develop EJ Manuel as much as possible but should that come at the expense of developing decent and serviceable backups in people like Tuel?

So the main point of this thread is how much of a back QB's performance comes from the amount of snaps in practice with the first team. How can we expect a backup to come in a win a game for us if they don't have the timing and gel that they need with the first team?

THE reason why the Bills looked decent for much of today is because all week KC had really no idea which QB they were facing and needed to prepare for.

In the end KC won because the Bills are a total mess at the QB position. The Bills are in a bigger mess at the QB position more than Bills fans realize.

It's the same thing every week. Who will QB the Bills next week?

Id say instead of taking snaps from our rookie starting qb, ideally we'd find a backup that needs less reps to be ready. Obviously things didnt work well this year, but....

Like I said, the Bills are in a much bigger mess at the QB position more than Bills fans realize! Your post just proved it.

Id say instead of taking snaps from our rookie starting qb, ideally we'd find a backup that needs less reps to be ready. Obviously things didnt work well this year, but....

If a QB needs less snaps to be ready I would argue they would be more likely to be a starter than a serviceable backup. There's something coaching sees in Tuel that they want to develop otherwise he'd have been on the street after his performance in Cleveland. If they believe they can develop him into a serviceable backup he's going to need more snaps with the first team. But as Pearl pointed out: How do we do that without taking snaps away from our starter?

Like I said, the Bills are in a much bigger mess at the QB position more than Bills fans realize! Your post just proved it.

There's no question the Bills are a mess at QB. I have a feeling the reason we're so far under the cap is they are using this year as a rebuilding year to see where that money needs to be spent in the future. At least that's the only reason I would think they would be so far under the cap. I think it's obvious some of that money needs to go to the QB position in the next off season.

If a QB needs less snaps to be ready I would argue they would be more likely to be a starter than a serviceable backup. There's something coaching sees in Tuel that they want to develop otherwise he'd have been on the street after his performance in Cleveland. If they believe they can develop him into a serviceable backup he's going to need more snaps with the first team. But as Pearl pointed out: How do we do that without taking snaps away from our starter?

There's no question the Bills are a mess at QB. I have a feeling the reason we're so far under the cap is they are using this year as a rebuilding year to see where that money needs to be spent in the future. At least that's the only reason I would think they would be so far under the cap. I think it's obvious some of that money needs to go to the QB position in the next off season.

Between kolb, tjax, and fitz we had three on our payroll this year alone that would be serviceable vet backups that need less reps than an undrafted rookie. Frankly, about 99% of the qbs in the league would need less.

Campbell, orton, chase Daniel, grossman, Matt Moore, henne, cassel have all been available in the last year or so and fit the bill.

I'm not saying tuel has no future value but he has little to none as a starter or #2 today- our staff is simply afraid to lose him for his down the line potential and unwilling to readjust that now.

Hopefully next year we grab one of those type of guys that have played enough games to not be overwhelmed by the situation and how to prep and be ready as a backup. Then tuel, or maybe someone else, at 3.