Astrobot's Mock Draft

Astrobot

Right now, I'm looking at our team vs. the probable AFC powerhouses in '05 and '06, and, because I think we go with Kelsay-Schobel, I'm looking for a younger DT in case Tim Anderson doesn't work out. We'll also need one more guy in the defensive backfield who can return punts instead of Clements. On Offense, we'll need an OG, possibly a C (more likely thru FA), a complementary RB for Willis (probably a TH-type) and a tall great-blocking WR/ST. I also want a kicker in camp, but will most likely get a UDFA.

Here's the order of need IMHO (No 1st or 5th Rounder right now)

ROUND 2: OG Sam Mayes, Oklahoma St.

Put him next to Mike Williams and Jason Peters at TE and you have Mayes 350 lbs., Williams 360, and Peters 328. They could all join hands and let Willis walk to the end zone.

ROUND 3: DT Anthony Bryant, Alabama

I'd take Nugent the kicker here if he's still on the board, but I doubt it. I really like Bryant. 6-2/336 is about what Phat Pat weighs, and 'Bama had a strong defense.

ROUND 4: RB Jermelle Lewis, Iowa

Great size, good speed, tough player, great 1-2 complement for Willis.

ROUND 6: DB Diamond Ferri, Syracuse

We don't have to look too far for a tough hitter who can return kicks.

ROUND 7: WR Roydell Williams, Tulane

Ask JP what he thinks of Roydell.

I don't know if I'd take Mayes in the 2nd. He could still be had in the 3rd, I believe, and there are others like Chris Kemoeatu of Utah and C.J. Brooks of Maryland that have been more impressive than Mayes, plus they're both big, mean, nasty players, something we need in the interior of our offensive line. Now, if they're gone, he'd be someone to look at, unless we decided to go another route (like drafting pass rushing LB Rian Wallace of Temple).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.