What is with the goal line formation.

peterpan

OK, I just do not get the logic behind the goal line formation.

First, the offense gets their biggest 9 (not the QB or RB) guys on the field and places them shoulder to shoulder with no measureable splits.

Then the D gets their biggest 9 guys on the field and puts them all right up agaisnt each other to defend the offense (only the CBs usually are outside of the box)

So we now have aproximately 2 1/2 tons of human being in a very small area, and somehow Fred Jackson is supposed to run straight into that mess and score a TD after handing it off to him ssssslllloooowwwllllyyyyyy.

I really just dont get it. I know every team does it but I dont get it. It has such a lower success rate I dont know why teams continue to do it.

We marched right down the feild by spreading teh D out. SO why stop doing it at the 1??? It would be easier to spread out 3 WRs, and keep the D's base or nickle package on the feild, and then do a QUICK handoff up the middle, while using larger splits. That way, there is actually SPACE for the RB to go with the ball, and not a couple tons of human. Doing it quickly is key, so that a guy like Kiko cannot read the play and get there in time to stuff it.

Sorry for the rant.