How I became a Bills fan

KikO M G

As I'm typing this, I can also understand why younger fans who missed the '90s seem so pissed right now... I can't imagine being a fan with only memories from the mid-late '90s on, never yet getting a sense that this franchise CAN actually succeed. Here's to hoping this '13 version is on a trajectory similar to that '86 or '87 version. I know we'd like some immediate success, but there's something to be said for watching a toddler learn to run, as well. Too bad Van Miller isn't here to tell you to fasten your seatbelts.

GO BILLS!!!

My first Bills memory is of my mother crying watching the Jim Kelly retirement press conference. I remember the Flutie/Johnson debate, and vividly recall the MCM. I feel bad for my 18 year old brother though. He can't even remember the playoffs.

I can't imagine following any other team. It sure is gonna be awesome when we the sun comes up over the mountains and floods into the this little valley of ours.

I'm 43 and a lifelong Bills and Red Sox fan. Until 2004 I figured I was cursed by the sports gods. Every season was filled by "if only....." and eventual letdown.

But when the Sox won the Series in 2004, a weird thing happened. Yeah, there was definitely a sense of joy and relief. But what surprised me was how dumb I felt for obsessing over getting that elusive title for so many years. In hindsight my best memories were listening to games on the radio as a kid, or talking about the team with my grandfather. And for the most part, the team was average at best during those years. The championship was nice, but not nearly the end-all-be-all I thought it would be.

So I am trying my best to enjoy the Bills during this prolonged drought...maybe these will be "the good ol' days" for us sometime down the road. (Damn I hope not)