Manuel/Cam Newton and the relevance of QBs in today's game

Ronin

I think Kolb may start if he performs well and we think we can pull together a winning and possible playoff season (unlikely). If Manuel starts Marrone buys a year, and if Manuel is successful Marrone looks like a genius. Manuel will have a first rate receiver, an underappreciated tight end in Chandler and a very good running back. The problem as it has been for over a decade is the offensive line as a unit. Hopefully there will be performance by the additions to that line and we'll get some backup strength in the course of the preseason. If the defense pulls together and stops underachieving, and Manuel turns out to be a good qb, I can see some good results coming from this team, and perhaps even a winning season. That is perhaps overoptimistic, but I think the talent is there if the coaching is up to snuff.

I don't disagree with you, Tennessee. I'm hardened to the state of the franchise these days. I spent years on here railing against the downward spiral this team has been mired in yet every off season I'd get excited at the prospects of a "what if" kind of season. Last season was the first one in my lifetime that I went into completely apathetic too. I hoped for a good season but knew it was wishful thinking so long as the QB situation went unresolved. I was uninspired by the Marone hire at first (having little to no experience with his stint at SU), felt the Brandon move was just more shuffling of the deck chairs on the Titanic, cheered the Whaley promotion but eyed it with suspicion like the battered spouse that I am, and knew little about EJ when he was anointed as the new Chosen One.

But I have to say, in the months sense I've gotten really excited about what the team is building here. Of course it's meaningless without Ws on Sunday to back it up, but from the new look D and O to the young talent being infused at positions that have been criminally neglected by this organization for over a decade, I think that this team has the ability to do more than just take a step out of the basement. The AFC East is in disarray right now with the *Pats window nearly closed, the Jests are more dysfunctional than Larry David's dating life, and the Dolphins overspent themselves into a corner by betting the farm on a very unimpressive young QB.

The defense has the talent on paper to turn things around in a hurry but once again it'll come down to the QB play. For the first time in a long time I feel like there's hope. If a couple things bounce their way and this team could find itself on the right side of 8 wins this year and chasing a WC spot.

I don't disagree with you, Tennessee. I'm hardened to the state of the franchise these days. I spent years on here railing against the downward spiral this team has been mired in yet every off season I'd get excited at the prospects of a "what if" kind of season. Last season was the first one in my lifetime that I went into completely apathetic too. I hoped for a good season but knew it was wishful thinking so long as the QB situation went unresolved. I was uninspired by the Marone hire at first (having little to no experience with his stint at SU), felt the Brandon move was just more shuffling of the deck chairs on the Titanic, cheered the Whaley promotion but eyed it with suspicion like the battered spouse that I am, and knew little about EJ when he was anointed as the new Chosen One.

But I have to say, in the months sense I've gotten really excited about what the team is building here. Of course it's meaningless without Ws on Sunday to back it up, but from the new look D and O to the young talent being infused at positions that have been criminally neglected by this organization for over a decade, I think that this team has the ability to do more than just take a step out of the basement. The AFC East is in disarray right now with the *Pats window nearly closed, the Jests are more dysfunctional than Larry David's dating life, and the Dolphins overspent themselves into a corner by betting the farm on a very unimpressive young QB.

The defense has the talent on paper to turn things around in a hurry but once again it'll come down to the QB play. For the first time in a long time I feel like there's hope. If a couple things bounce their way and this team could find itself on the right side of 8 wins this year and chasing a WC spot.

Wow TGreg you sound me like on here 2 seasons ago. Until Chan/Fitz totally malfunctioned. I like some stuff I am hearing this year but living through the past..... I will wait and see but I am a bit more optimistic and like the direction.