OT - Home recording software

Need some help choosing what kind of software to get. Here's my setup already:

1) Guitar (Hamer Special) w/ midi pickup

2) Guitar synth/midi controller and USB midi interface

3) "Guitar Port" (lets me play guitar thru USB port, w/ built-in software effects and different amps, etc.)

4) Reason 2.0 (great studio-in-one, but can't record live instrumentation - can only import samples into software drum machine and then "loop" them - better for electronica)

What I want is software that will let me record "live" guitar (either thru built-in effects or thru the effects built into Guitarport), and then "score" those recordings and hopefully add in effects/synths from Reason.

Any suggestions? I've heard Pro Tools is good, but I'm not sure what it does (and it's expensive - perhaps I don't need all that?)... oh, and I've tried Google, and I've also tried asking the pothead employees at GuitarCenter for help - no dice. Thanks in advance!

Is this the kind of thing you are looking for?

http://www.finalemusic.com/finaleguitar/

There are a number of good products out there, and Finale has several products. This happens to have the features I had been looking for in my price range. You can find it cheaper elsewhere....

You can download demos, but I don't know how limited they are on the input side. I know you can't save/print with the demos, and that they'll read MIDI files. It was enough for me, might be overkill for you. You could try their NotePad for starters...it's free. Everything else scales up from there...

Need some help choosing what kind of software to get.  Here's my setup already:

1) Guitar (Hamer Special) w/ midi pickup

2) Guitar synth/midi controller and USB midi interface

3) "Guitar Port" (lets me play guitar thru USB port, w/ built-in software effects and different amps, etc.)

4) Reason 2.0 (great studio-in-one, but can't record live instrumentation - can only import samples into software drum machine and then "loop" them - better for electronica)

What I want is software that will let me record "live" guitar (either thru built-in effects or thru the effects built into Guitarport), and then "score" those recordings and hopefully add in effects/synths from Reason.

Any suggestions?  I've heard Pro Tools is good, but I'm not sure what it does (and it's expensive - perhaps I don't need all that?)... oh, and I've tried Google, and I've also tried asking the pothead employees at GuitarCenter for help - no dice.  Thanks in advance!

202361[/snapback]

Allow me. This is what I do.

Pro Tools with the MBox is pretty powerful for the average consumer, and the learning curve is not too steep at all. Once you get yourself rocking with the keyboard shortcuts, you can do some damage. And editing is pretty easy. You can usually find the MBox with software for around $400. And the MBox, since it has mic preamps, will be handier to have than just your Guitar port, so you can actually record a guitar amp if you like. In addition, Reason is integrated into MBox with ReWire so you can use the sequences you create in Reason in a Pro Tools session.

If you'd like further information, PM me.

I've used Cubase, Cakewalk, Samplitude, Nuendo, some of the others. But Pro Tools is industry standard, and should you get the funding to go to a studio, your session would almost certainly be portable to that studio (ie you can bring your work from home into a pro studio just by bringing in your hard drive).

Good luck!