QB gurus

E.J. Manuel is typical of the new breed of quarterbacks, in that he has worked extensively with a QB guru/coach, to improve mechanics etc. And it makes all the sense in the world to do this, with millions of dollars at stake in terms of a successful NFL career. So I always found it to be mind boggling when the Bills hired a QB coach/guru last year, and Fitz stated it was the first time he had ever worked with someone like this on his mechanics. I mean., it never occurred to this Harvard grad, and 7th round draft choice, that hiring someone to help him with his mechanics, might make the difference between NFL success and the money that comes with it? I mean, I know it worked out or him, but to have never worked individually with a QB guru to assist with NFL success, seems, well, pretty dumb for a smart guy.

Whats kinda crazy in my view is how colleges don't start training players in proper throwing mechanics their first year in college. Seems like the different colleges just go with whatever style of throwing motion the QB's already have, and If its successful and working for them they don't try and work them into NFL type mechanics.

Tim Tebow is a great example, because after throwing the same way all thu high school and college its difficult to re-train them once they hit the NFL. So, bringing in David Lee certainly looked like a boneheaded move last year as Fitz seemed to regress badly.

Some QB's like Brady and Manning have had trainers / gurus since high school instructing them in the proper footwork, throwing motions, mechanics. So yea, IQ doesn't mean a lot if you don't work to perfect your craft.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Hmmm, I don't know.....the Bills brought in "Coach Lee" and he completely screwed up what mechanics Fitz may have naturally had. it was a complete bust to bring this "guru" in.

An undergraduate degree from Harvard may get him into a top grad school, but with just the degree he has, what high paying job is he going to get?

To your first point, you're ignoring the difference between getting coaching during CBA defined work environments as opposed to the QB coaching that many players now voluntarily seek when they're away from their employer.

To your second point, Captain Hindsight said "Fitz has a better chance to make money not playing football than most" so you're going off on a tangent with that.

This reminds me of Tiger woods. Hired a guru to work on his backswing and it screwed him up for years. He is back to good golf now, is that because of the guru or in spite of the guru?

Actually Tiger has always had a swing coach.

During the years 1993 to 2004, Tiger's swing coach was Butch Harmon. After that he spent nearly seven years with Hank Haney and for the last 3 years Tiger's been working with Sean Foley.