Carlos Beltran free to sign with anyone

millbank

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm not saying they can afford him and don't want him, they could probably sink the money into him, but it's wiser for them to just leave their team as is, it's good enough to win the World Series with or without Beltran.

I'm just glad he's going to sign with a bad team and the Cardinals are now the favorite to repeat in the National League.

Whatever helps the Cardinals :)

199287[/snapback]

If the Mets land Beltran watch out. They are potentially looking at a lineup of...

Reyes

Matsui

Beltran

Piazza

Wright

Floyd

Cameron

Phillips/Valent

That's potential. Plus with Pedro/Glavine/Trachsel/V. Zambrano/Benson

That's a NICE TEAM.

It's official Met fans!!  Beltran is a MET!! 7 years/119 Million.

Let the Met bashing begin, because we all know how everyone (especially Yank fans) love to rip any move the Mets make.  Did the Mets overpay?  Of course but to get someone of his caliber and with Boras as his agent the Mets had to do this. Not only do the Mets have a new TV network in the works for '06 to plan for, but they have to get the faith back in their fans and win them back.  Delgado is next......

link:  http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/met...-span-headlines

199294[/snapback]

Those are the most ridiculous numbers ever!!!!

28 MILLION A YEAR?

This is by far the STUPIDEST spending spree I've ever seen in baseball.

Alex Rodriguez got 25 million a year from Texas and he's a better player than Beltran.

Oh the Mets are going to suck for years, HAHAHAHAHA.

GO CARDINALS!!!!

edit: I thought that said 199 million. 119 is still too much for this guy, but that's better than 199 million :)

Maybe the Mets should think about improving their bullpen? They can ask the Astros what a bad bullpen gets you in the playoffs.

If the Mets land Beltran watch out. They are potentially looking at a lineup of...

Reyes- decent player

Matsui- they've got the wrong Matsui

Beltran- amazing 12 game run, let's see him do it for 162 games

Piazza- over the hill

Wright- not bad

Floyd- locker room cancer and average player

Cameron- not bad

Phillips/Valent- who cares

That's potential. Plus with Pedro/Glavine/Trachsel/V. Zambrano/Benson- NO BULLPEN!

That's a NICE TEAM.

199302[/snapback]

Those are the most ridiculous numbers ever!!!!

28 MILLION A YEAR?

This is by far the STUPIDEST spending spree I've ever seen in baseball.

Alex Rodriguez got 25 million a year from Texas and he's a better player than Beltran.

Oh the Mets are going to suck for years, HAHAHAHAHA.

GO CARDINALS!!!!

edit:  I thought that said 199 million.  119 is still too much for this guy, but that's better than 199 million :)

Maybe the Mets should think about improving their bullpen?  They can ask the Astros what a bad bullpen gets you in the playoffs.

199305[/snapback]

Bullpens get tweaked all spring and spots are won throught Spring Training. The 'pen is not that bad as people make it out to be. Strickland, Moreno, Yates all throw heat. Heath Bell blossomed last year. Worthless Franco and Stanton are gone although they got Heredia in return I think he'll be ok. Looper quietly had a great season last year on a lousy team. Add the korean they inked yesterday and maybe some kids out of camp yearning for a big league spot and you have yourself a pretty decent bullpen. No one needs big names (Gordon, Quantrill anyone?) to have a "good" bullpen. So many times you'll see teams with no namers who do just fine. Mets still need a 1B before they work on their bullpen and at this poing I'll be fine with a Meinkeweicz (sp?) now that Beltran is added. I would love to see Delgado but I think the money is done flowing.

I agree with the Delgado agruement. I still don't understand why you "need" a first baseman. Am I completely missing something about Piazza playing first? I know his D is suspect and his O has been lacking. But the guy really hasn't had much O support, now that he's got support in both Beltran and Wright I think you'll see a much better player.

Time will tell how good Omar is with his moves. But, being that the Braves play in the same division I fear the Mets now more than any other team. Philly, Florida, Atlanta and NY will all be above .500 this year. It's going to be a tight race for the division.

Time will tell how good Omar is with his moves. But, being that the Braves play in the same division I fear the Mets now more than any other team. Philly, Florida, Atlanta and NY will all be above .500 this year. It's going to be a tight race for the division.

199350[/snapback]

I think the division shakes out like this.

1. Florida

2. Atlanta

3. Philly

4. NY

5. Nationals/Expos/Whoever

Any Yankee fan that feels it appropriate to bust on the Mets for this deal, be reminded of the Giambi deal...7 years, $120 million. Hey Yankee fans...how did that work out for you?!?!? At least the Mets are blowing the load on a steroid sucking loser.

Well done New York Mets...Carlos Delgado is on deck!

Please explain to me how you would be different than the Yankees is you do sign Delgado as well?

199372[/snapback]

It doesn't, Mets fans just like to think they aren't like the Yankees.

It's the same thing with Boston fans.

Does anyone know which team had the highest World Series winning payroll ever?

The Boston Red Sox.

Um, the Yankees don't win??? Playing in 6 of the last 9 World Series is not winning? How many playoff games have the Redskins played in? The Mets=Redskins!!! The Yanks get something for their money at least and have spent it wisely this year on Pitching not on a guy who will hit 40 home runs but bat .270. Go Mets

It doesn't, Mets fans just like to think they aren't like the Yankees.

It's the same thing with Boston fans.

Does anyone know which team had the highest World Series winning payroll ever?

The Boston Red Sox.

199374[/snapback]

No...it has nothing to do with that. It's just we're tired of the incessant slanted view of baseball that is put forth by Yankee fans. It is the Yankee fans right to expect that any and all free agent will want to, in fact, must sign with their team. If that person is either not pursued by the Yankees, or even worse, decides that they don't want to sign with the Yankees, then that player is a loser POS.

I don't begrudge the Yankees and their past success...I just dispise the Yankee fans for their narrow-minded view of baseball and their inability to objectively view the actions of others. The fact that not one Yankee fan on this board has acknowledged the fact that the Giambi deal EXCEEDS the Beltran deal is proof of this.

No...it has nothing to do with that.  It's just we're tired of the incessant slanted view of baseball that is put forth by Yankee fans.  It is the Yankee fans right to expect that any and all free agent will want to, in fact, must sign with their team.  If that person is either not pursued by the Yankees, or even worse, decides that they don't want to sign with the Yankees, then that player is a loser POS.

I don't begrudge the Yankees and their past success...I just dispise the Yankee fans for their narrow-minded view of baseball and their inability to objectively view the actions of others.  The fact that not one Yankee fan on this board has acknowledged the fact that the Giambi deal EXCEEDS the Beltran deal is proof of this.

199397[/snapback]

Well we certainly agree on everything you just said.