TD also needs to do some self-evaluation

jahnyc

I know that TD and MM are reviewing the team and evaluating the players now that the season has ended,but think TD also needs to reflect and review his staff (scouts and player personnel types) to make sure that our drafts and free agent acquisitions are as strong as possible.

I am not going to list the positives and negatives of TD's performance as GM over the last four years (it is very mixed), but one area that can be improved is our drafting. Yes, McGahee and Evans appear to be excellent picks at this time, but some of our late round drafting has been disappointing. McGee seems to be the only player drafted in the fourth round or lower over the last four years that is making a significant contribution. Because of this, we have no depth at some key positions, such as offensive line and defensive tackle. I believe that we have some players that may surprise us with their upside, such as Crowell (actually, a third rounder) and Haggans, but overall we need more "hits" in the lower rounds to, at a minimum, improve our overall depth. In fairness, I must note that we may have acquired some decent undrafted players this year (Peters, Baker and Greer).

I also think we can do better with identifying "bargain" type veteran free agent acquisitions that have potential. For example, B. Berry and Coleman (Falcons) were reasonably priced free agents that could have been acquired.