How do we use CJ Spiller?

Dopey

As has become apparent in this thread, people should be clear and differentiate between carries(runs) and touches(runs + catches). Confusion abounds concerning peoples views.

Ignoring injury games(can't be bothered to check), only 3 RBs rushed for an average of 20 carries per game this season. The highest being 351 rushes(22 average/game).

Spiller does not need 25 nor even 20 carries per game to be considered a full time RB in the modern NFL.

If we take the 8 games where Spiller rushed for 14 or more times we find his stats were....

(17.75 carries/game)

142 - 867 - 6.1ave (Extrapolated over a season that would equate to..... 284 - 1734)

I would be happy enough if he averaged 17 carries/game...272 in the year(which would have placed him 11th in carries this season).

With a 6.0 ave he would see 1632 yards in the season(2nd highest in league).

(Though I would like to see him rush 22/game with a 6.0ave to beat Dickerson's rushing record :D )

Interestingly his stats for the 8 games where rushing under 14 times are....

65 - 377 - 5.8ave

(For those that argue he will/won't get better with more touches in a game....the average was pretty similar, with slight edge going to using him more).

I have not even seen this mentioned on here. Everyone wants CJ to be "the guy" and get all the carries and doesn't Fred etc. Well, CJ got his chance against the Jets and had 24 carries for 59 yards. The only good play he had was on the pass from Fitz that he ran with. Everyone was so freaked out over the Fish game, where he had some good runs, but finished 23 carries for 91 yard or so.

This tells me he is not "the guy" that can get the bulk of the carries. He needs another guy like Fred to pound and then come in and get the big runs. He can be very effective as long as he not the only guy in there running between the tackles.

Only 10 RBs rushed for 17+ times/game this season.

Spiller averaged 13/game

1st fish game:

22 - 91 - 4.1ave

2nd Fish game:

22 - 138 - 6.3ave

Like I said.....in the 8 games where he averaged 17.75 rushes/game he averaged 6.1 yards/carry.

He 100% can get the bulk of the carries.....as he showed this season.

Edited by Dibs

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic