Another season come and gone but Im still happy and proud

mellaman101

Really? I can think of a lot of ways to describe the debacle of a decade, but Aaron Maybin is the person that really comes to mind?

To me, yes, - POOR DRAFT CHOICES (or generically, poor personnel decisions) define this franchise since 2000. Like so many of our draft and personnel moves, this franchised was killed by acquiring and overpaying poor talent. Maybin was a #1 choice picked before other break out stars (I think we could have had Clay Mathews III, butthat might have been another year), held out for and got big money, did not perform, was a distraction in the locker room and on the field, and is now out of the NFL. The story of Aaron Maybin also tells the story of the post 2000 Buffalo Bills, in two words, Wasted Opportunities.

There are other players that could tell the same story, Mike Williams comes to mind. I didn't pick a consistent or well performing player because the team was not consistent or well performing after 2000 (OK, I agree 7-9 for 3 boring years is consistent, but not the consistent most fans like). Some of the good players who stayed deserved better. Perhaps an alternate face of the franchise is Brian Moorman. When your most reliable player is your punter, something's wrong.

This is the fan that Ralph loves. Let's just be happy that little old Buffalo has a team. I'll support you no matter what. Go Bills! Let's buy a Fitz jersey!

Let's hope that with the new lease in place that the fans won't be afraid to speak with their pocketbooks. In the mid-80's they rarely sold out, even openning day, and couldn't even get 30000 for late season games (remember the Buffalo Wave?). That was enough for the right changes to start falling in place; hiring Bill Polian, Drafting Bruce Smith, signing Kelly...you know the rest. History has shown that once any Buffalo sports team makes and shows a conviction to winning, the fans show up. Kelly's signing sold 40000 seats for the '86 openning day alone, even the old Buffalo Braves drew big crowds in their playoff years in the mid-70's (and this was before the NBA had its current popularity). Same thing with the Sabres (heck, in the 70's it was tough to get any seats for the Sabres.)

Speaking of Buffalo major sports franchises, the one from the recent era with the best chance of winning a championship is the old Buffalo Braves. Too bad they're the LA Clippers.