ESPN.com's NFL Playoff Calculator is out!

ThurmasThoman

Where do people get this "we control our own destiny" stuff? Here's the facts:

Even if we beat Indy, Seattle AND everybody else left on our schedule, we don't control our own destiny. The teams currently ahead of us for the 2 wildcard spots are:

Pitt: 6-4

Indy: 6-4

Cinci: 5-5

Of those three teams, the only one we play this season is Indy. If we beat them, they have 5 losses. Among those three teams, the only game any of them have left with each other is a game between Pitt and Cinci. If Cinci wins that game, then Pitt and Cinci will each have 5 losses.

We already have 6 losses, so even if we win the rest of our games, we can still finish behind all three of those teams. That means we do not control our own destiny. If we win out to finish 10-6, we have a very good chance of making the playoffs, and we won't need much help from other teams. But that's doesn't mean we control our own destiny. At this point, we don't.

Thank you.

And color me pessimistic but in spite of my own wishes, the Bills are not gonna win out.

If the Bills win out, they'll be in the playoffs. Pittsburgh is down to Charlie Batch & there is no way that Charlie Batch beats anybody, so their out. Then you have Cinci who currently has a matching conference / divisional record with Buffalo, they have to play Dallas / @ Pitts / Baltimore (not that Baltimore will have anything to play for). Knowing all that. If we tie them with all of that matching, it will come down to common opponents record, which Miami / Cleveland / KC come into the Buffalo fold. Indy also has 2 games against Houston, which I think will both mean the difference for 2nd / 3rd conference seeding for Houston. That basically means at least one more loss for Indy, which ties us up on record with head to head being the tie-breaker.

Folks, the Bills win out & there's no way that something doesn't break our way. I hope we win out.

Folks, the Bills win out & there's no way that something doesn't break our way. I hope we win out.

thats pretty much what it comes down to.

i think that after that loss to new england, i was about as down in the dumps as one could get with regards to the outlook on their pro sports team.

questioning what the point of even watching the games was.

but then, within 24 hours, i realized how big that miami game was.

win that, and were right there.

i have read THREE national articles this week talking about the bills and the playoffs.

i really really really really really really wish we had beaten the titans, to take some of the implications off of the game this weekend.

i mean, this is our season. not saying we cant lose it and still make the playoffs. but christ allmighty. a win this weekend would be the most important bills win since... ummm.... i mean.... im drawing a blank? since we beat miami at home in week 17 in 1996 to secure a home playoff game the following weekend against that same dolphins team?

help me out here.

i think that after that loss to new england, i was about as down in the dumps as one could get with regards to the outlook on their pro sports team.

i have read THREE national articles this week talking about the bills and the playoffs.

i really really really really really really wish we had beaten the titans, to take some of the implications off of the game this weekend.

i mean, this is our season. not saying we cant lose it and still make the playoffs. but christ allmighty. a win this weekend would be the most important bills win since... ummm.... i mean.... im drawing a blank? since we beat miami at home in week 17 in 1996 to secure a home playoff game the following weekend against that same dolphins team?

help me out here.

help me out here.

It's a big game but being 5-6 doesn't mean we win out, we'd still be 5-6.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

I just found a path for the Bills to make the playoffs at 7-9!

Most importantly - we can lose this week and still have a strong shot at the playoffs with 9-7.

In fact, there are a lot of possibilities for us to make it with a 9-7 record.

Yes but there are several paths that we don't make the playoffs at 10-6.