soccer alert: USMNT vs Russia (friendly)

Cugalabanza

Thanks for the heads up. I like watching the US men's national team play, but I'm only a casual soccer fan. I'm vaguely aware of the World Cup qualifier schedule so I look those up in advance - - but I sometimes miss the "friendlies."

I love hearing from casual fans....that indicates that you enjoy the game for the game's sake, not because of what you know about it. That's how I started becoming a fan of soccer when I was a kid. I remember back when I was really young, I had a little black and white tv in my bedroom. I'd often sneak it on past my bedtime because there was this UHF channel that I could get in (if I moved the antenna just right lol) that would have european soccer matches on. I didn't know any of the players, never heard of the teams, but I just loved watching. I started playing when I was 5 years old, so the enjoyment I got from actually playing combined with my growing interest to watch it on tv really propelled my fascination with the sport.

But anyway, always nice to have casual fans stopping in....we always have a good time in these threads, especially during the WC!

Gringo: Thanks man!!

Edited by ajzepp

Another good result yesterday. 2-2 against Russia's top squad that hasn't allowed any goals in WC Qualifying including shutting down Portugal. Plus the squad was without Dempsey and Donovan.

A few points from the game:

1. Michael Bradley is the most technical and complete soccer player the US has ever produced. His touch, vision, passing, shooting and defending are on another level. He's become world class.

2. Defense is still a major area of concern. Russia controlled large periods of this game. They need to shore up the center backs. I think Omar Gonzalez from LA Galaxy will be one of those to take over that spot in time for 2014. The Galaxy looked lost without him earlier this year when he was injured.

3. I think some are being unfair in saying the US didn't deserve the draw. When US stepped their game up, they had quality possession as well. Additionally, the US gifted Russia both of their goals, especially the first one. What was Williams thinking?

4. For the first time since maybe 2002, there is quality in the youth department. Exciting times ahead.

I've been following the USMNT since 1990, it's amazing how far they've come. They got a lot of room for improvement but now it's about fine tuning their system which is why I love having Klinsmann as manager. After a slow start to his tenure, we are definitely seeing a team that is getting much better at attacking.

Bradley Goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrVQ8LDP9XA

Edited by PTS

What a beautiful goal....he's had a few of those over the last year or two that were just amazing.

Just saw the extended highlights....some floppy haired guy named "Mix" puts in the most unlikely shot I've ever seen for the tie LOL...somehow I've missed who this guy is, but I like him!

Based on those highlights, Russia should have won that match by like three goals. They had opportunity after opportunity but their shots were just weak enough for Howard to make the save.

Edited by ajzepp

I think the 2-2 result was fortunate. Howard and Bradley get very high scores. Everybody else should be worried about getting a seat on that 2014 plane to Brazil.

This team's back line is very much in question. I have no idea who will be starting back there for the WC. Bocanegra is getting old and just tore his hammy in this game (6-8 weeks recovery). I don't think his position is secure even if he comes back 100%. Fabian Johnson looked pretty secure for a while at left back, but now seems shaky. Timmy Chandler is serviceable I guess on the right side, but seems off his game lately. Goodson? Meh. We need guys like Tim Ream and Cherundolo back and to be at their best.

I do like the talent pool in midfield. Especially if Stuart Holden is able to return to what he was a couple years ago. I think he'll be returning (finally) to Bolton next month. I agree that Bradley is emerging as truly world class. Jermaine Jones is consistenly serviceable in a defensive midfield role, but nothing special. I think the hope was for Danny Williams to steal that starting spot from Jones, but after this Russia game, Williams will have to work very hard to earn back some credibility. He was truly awful.

Forwards? Hard to say. I can live with Hercules Gomez. He always gives a great effort and is smart and opportunistic. Altidore? Meh. He'll probably be in the mix, but he needs to step it up a bit. I know he's doing well with his club team in the Dutch league, but hasn't scored for the national team in a year. I think we might see either Dempsey or Donovan combined with Gomez up front. If Holden is back, then this is a perfect scenario.

I think it's possible that things come together for the US to make a nice run in 2014, but, man, that defense is looking pretty shaky right now.