Do You Always Root for the US in Sports?

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Always Root for the US in Sports?

• Yes
    • No

Allen Iverson played his ass off! He played with a broken thumb and led our team.....ooops I guess some of our's team. I dont know what hate means. Since hate rules your live when you root against Allen Iverson you are rooting against Emeka Okafor who is an excellent person and role model. I mean do you root against your little kids baseball team because you dislike his coach? Do you root against the Bills in the Superbowl because Bruce Smith is an ass? Do you root for the Taliban because you hate Bush? Someone asked me what my problem was. Lets see I am very loyal which is a virtue. I am very passionate and I realize how lucky I am to live in this great country. I am not an American by convenience I am proudly an American by choice. I bet some of already took down your flags since Sept 11th. I always had a flag!

God Bless America! Some of us LOVE this country!

its depends if it be a sport like tennis or golf where individuals are more representing themselves I root for various people from all over the world based on how they compete and play the game, but if events are teams of American people representing the U.S.A yes I always root for the U.S.A , that is not to say one cannot appreciate the skills of opponents....

Allen Iverson played his ass off!  He played with a broken thumb and led our  team.....ooops I guess some of our's team.  I dont know what hate means.  Since hate rules your live when you root against Allen Iverson you are rooting against Emeka Okafor who is an excellent person and role model.  I mean do you root against your little kids baseball team because you dislike his coach?  Do you root against the Bills in the Superbowl because Bruce Smith is an ass?  Do you root for the Taliban because you hate Bush?  Someone asked me what my problem was.  Lets see I am very loyal which is a virtue.  I am very passionate and I realize how lucky I am to live in this great country.  I am not an American by convenience I am proudly an American by choice.  I bet some of already took down your flags since Sept 11th.  I always had a flag! 

God Bless America!  Some of us LOVE this country!

15342[/snapback]

I think there is a clear distinction between the questions of rooting for the "Dream" Team or their opponent and rooting for the Taliban or the US.

One of the sad effects of the war against terrorism was that it reminded us all that when we refer to athletes as "warriors" or use military terms for sports, or when we even talk about the "sacrifices" than a pro athlete makes that we are actually devaluing these words because US troops are real warriors making real sacrifices and protecting us through serving in the military.

In the end, sports are entertainment and not about our way of life. Certainly, the US dominance in sports is driven by the fact that our way of life has produced so much money for us. Our well-fed athletes and the resources we can devote to the leisure activities of training, medical surgery and unfortunately performance enhancing drugs is why we are often #1 in sports.

However, achievement in sports is no sacrifice at all compared to the sacrifices which are made for you and me on the battlefield.

I think this is the message of Pat Tillman. Sports are entertainment rather than a showing of our way of life. Even the highest level of sports was not enough for him and he chose another course and unfortunately paid the highest price for it.

I am grateful to him because of what he chose to do whether he died for it or not. I do not view the contributions of an athlete representing my country as anywhere near the contribution he made as a soldier. In the end, sports are simply entertainment to me.