Is the Secondary going to be the weak link on Defense?

I think it's going to take some time for AW to develop into a solid corner. He was oft-injured last year, so that slowed his development. I don't know if putting him in right away as a starter this year was a wise move by the coaching staff.

I'm wondering what people are seeing from Carder and even Bradham that excites them. Carder seems to be lost out there, taking poor angles and getting pushed around. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets cut or put on PS.

I think the secondary will be fine. An above average unit that will be aided by the pass rush. McKelvin looks better now that he is in the slot and the safeties are very good. Williams will be okay and I like the depth with Rogers and Brooks.

I think it's going to take some time for AW to develop into a solid corner. He was oft-injured last year, so that slowed his development. I don't know if putting him in right away as a starter this year was a wise move by the coaching staff.

Again, so confused by these comments. What are you basing that on? He was our best CB last year when healthy IMO (He had 1 injury that kept him out the first half of the season. And yes, best out of a bad group). So far he was beat exactly once deep this preseason (Even though he was all over the WR), and has only allowed a handful of catches.

Yes he is young. So if he shouldn't start, who? Brooks (rookie)? Yes he has looked very good...against 2nd/3rd stringers. He did however get beat in that Steelers game, as AW did not. McKelvin? We've seen what he can do...Rogers? The 2nd year guy who missed almost all of training camp to this point, the 6th round pick from last year that only played a handful of downs at Nickle (never started)? McGee, who can't even walk right now? McGee and McKelvin are the only guy with MORE experience than AW on the team and it's unlikely either of them are starting candidates.

I'm just saying, there is a reason the coaching staff is playing it this way. He's simply the best option.

A little more info about the steelers game. Gilmore was beat 4 times on one drive alone, once for a TD. Williams allowed 1 11 yard reception the entire game (played 1 half). Not bashing Gilmore, just saying the AW criticism is unjustified to this point, let's just see how he does. It's a very young secondary, there will be growing pains.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Depends on how teams go about dinking and dunking which, given our pass rush potential, I think we'll see a ton of this year. Our secondary will play a huge part in the success teams have with that dinking and dunking.

It's fair to say that both the LBs and DBs are a legit concern going into the season, imho.

GO BILLS!!!

I guess we'll know pretty quickly if opposing teams TE's continue to carve us up. That's almost always on the LB's.

I'm wondering what people are seeing from Carder and even Bradham that excites them. Carder seems to be lost out there, taking poor angles and getting pushed around. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets cut or put on PS.

I think the secondary will be fine. An above average unit that will be aided by the pass rush. McKelvin looks better now that he is in the slot and the safeties are very good. Williams will be okay and I like the depth with Rogers and Brooks.

:thumbsup:

Your assessment completely matches my own. I think Carder has potential, but he needs to bulk up and work on his technique. I doubt they'd cut him outright, he's almost certainly PS bound.

It's just the normal hype train steamrolling TBD with new draft picks, happens every year.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Again, so confused by these comments. What are you basing that on? He was our best CB last year when healthy IMO (He had 1 injury that kept him out the first half of the season. And yes, best out of a bad group). So far he was beat exactly once deep this preseason (Even though he was all over the WR), and has only allowed a handful of catches.

Yes he is young. So if he shouldn't start, who? Brooks (rookie)? Yes he has looked very good...against 2nd/3rd stringers. He did however get beat in that Steelers game, as AW did not. McKelvin? We've seen what he can do...Rogers? The 2nd year guy who missed almost all of training camp to this point, the 6th round pick from last year that only played a handful of downs at Nickle (never started)? McGee, who can't even walk right now? McGee and McKelvin are the only guy with MORE experience than AW on the team and it's unlikely either of them are starting candidates.

I'm just saying, there is a reason the coaching staff is playing it this way. He's simply the best option.

A little more info about the steelers game. Gilmore was beat 4 times on one drive alone, once for a TD. Williams allowed 1 11 yard reception the entire game (played 1 half). Not bashing Gilmore, just saying the AW criticism is unjustified to this point, let's just see how he does. It's a very young secondary, there will be growing pains.

Don't get me wrong, both AW & Gilmore have been burnt for big plays. I think the front 4 is going to be great this year and will do their part on defense, but the LB's and secondary won't be able to finish the job, at least right away until they develop, which could take half-way through the season or longer, and that's what concerns me.