Comments on 8/13 Practice Video

eball

Just watched the practice highlights over on the Bills' site; all three QBs looked like they were humming the rock yesterday, and I noted big plays by Chandler, Jones, Graham, Hagan, Martin, and even Clowney. If Vince continues this improvement while also bringing the athleticism aspect, I don't see how they keep Thigpen (even though Tyler threw some nice balls as well). The WRs appeared to be stepping up, but as noted in the Easley thread, Marcus saw greatly reduced reps and I'm now thinking he might be on life support in a Bills uniform unless something miraculous happens the rest of preseason.

Also, CJ Spiller looks lightning quick. There are a couple of running play highlights and this cat appears to be moving at a different speed than everyone else.

Merriman being held out appears to be much ado about nothing.

Speed can kill in the NFL - when it is used wisely. I have really high hopes for Spiller this year; we've got to start using him more before his first contract becomes somewhat wasted (I'm thinking he's got to want to resign with us). Anyway, I imagine two back sets with he and Fred, and with Fred so good at blocking, the defense would have to account for run, for screen - you could split either out wide; having those two guys on the field should, I would imagine, force the linebackers at least to be torn - and, if you could then make them account for someone like T.J. Graham, who is lightning quick also - there could be some big plays.

I loved the Spiller pick from the beginning. The kid was to college what B. Sanders was to the NFL. Now he's starting to look acclimated to the system and to the NFL. He is the kind of back who can take it 10 yards, 20 yards, or all the way, on any given play - and there aren't too many people in the NFL with that kind of speed/athleticism combination.

Can't wait to see what Chan has devised!