Need some advice...re: keepers

udonkey

I am in a keeper league that does an auction style draft. We get a $200 budget at the beginning of the draft to fill our rosters. Also, something a bit unique, instead of individual QBs, we do a team QB system (starter + backups).

I am struggling to decide which 2 of the following 3 players I want to keep:

- Broncos Team QB - $8 value - I actually had Tebow on my bench last year and lucked out to get Manning so cheap

- Victor Cruz - $12 value - top 20 WR for pretty cheap...?

- Eagles Team QB - $4 value - With Vick's injuries last year, I picked this one up on waivers at the end of the season

I have 2 lines of thinking here...

- Broncos QB + Cruz for $20 (10% of total budget) - I knock out 2 of my top skill positions and go big on top RB/WR talent. Biggest question mark is whether Manning has "it" or not

- Broncos QB + Eagles QB for $12 (6% of total budget) - I get 2 "solid" to "great" QBs for dirt cheap...if both work out, I have trade bait. If one ***** the bed, I have one to replace. 2 for cheaper than 1 starter, then go after top tier talent with my remaining budget.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't put much stock into the backup QB thing. There aren't many teams where I'd keep their backup QB in over grabbing a starting QB off the waiver wire (New England might be an exception if Mallett is as good as advertised, but overall I wouldn't trust it). It tends to make the crappy QBs (Arizona, Seattle, etc) viable if you really need them over providing extra value to the top.

Would you rather have Vick or Manning? You're looking at a QB5/QB6, WR10,QB10. I think it's pretty clear to take the QB5/6 and WR10. If you really want Manning, go for him in the auction.

The prices you got them at seals it for me. Vick, the better QB, is also half the price. Gotta keep him. And there are plenty of QBs with upside this year you can get cheap as a backup (RG3, Cutler, Freeman, Fitzpatrick, etc).

Cruz at $12 is a good value. That's about half of what I'd expect to have to pay for him.

Look at it this way. If you wanted to keep all 3, according to: http://www.fftoolbox...s=12&budget=200

Vick: Average Cost $20

Manning: Average Cost $16

Cruz: Average Cost $24

If you keep Vick + Cruz and buy Manning, you spend $32

If you keep Vick + Manning and buy Cruz, you spend $36

If you keep Cruz + Manning and buy Vick, you spend $40

The best value here is to keep Vick and Cruz, and I think they're also the best two players out of the three.

Edited by BlueFire

Thanks for both of your input - Blue, I like the way that you broke it down. Ultimately, while Vick's durability may be in question, I think that he has more tools around him to score me points (including his own legs).

Gonna go with Vick + Cruz and hope that Manning is terrible. :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.